Help on getting my foot in the electrical door

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisjeff1

Reaction score
Hi My name is Chris and I am 30 years old. If been grafting all my life doing mainly plastering and groundworks I am someone who does not shy away from hard work. I have a positive attitude towards work and life in general and I decided last year to concentrate all my efforts on being a success within the electrical trade as I was sick and tired of wet works. I have just recently completed my NVQ level 2 in ELectrical installation and I'm finding it hard to get on with an electrical firm or contractor. as I have no actual electrical onsite experience I need advice on how I can actually get my foot through the door and get started? Please any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated. Thanks 

I don't blame you for changing  trades  Chris  but  I have to say  what you are doing can be very difficult  .   You're off on the right foot  with the NVQ  ,  you'll need more than that I hope you know .

We've had  this question often on here ...its so damn difficult unless you drop lucky .    Youngsters can't get an apprenticeship  for love or money .  

I think ...others may have  more input ....... that your best & possibly only option is to get a start as an "Improver "  .. "Trainee"  or Adult Mate  and start to work your way though the levels  .

You just need to find a firm .  So make yourself known ,  ask at an electrical wholesaler if they'll put your card up ...start emailing  contractors with your details  , you just need to drop lucky  if you don't know anyone in the trade   who needs a willing  hand   but not fully skilled .  

Look up local sparkies , use the  Register of Electricians  /  Competent Persons /  Part P /  NICEIC / ELECSA /  NAPPITT .  / STROMA  members  .

I can't help you myself as I'm  semi retired now , only work two days a week  but If I hear anyone needing an Improver  etc  I'll pass on your details .  

You need a list of the other courses you'll need to take  , the other guys know them better than me .     Don't take the 17th edition  as the 18th  cometh soon.

Do you want to PM me with your details  ?  

There is another way ,   might be better if someone who's done it  picks it up .

Called the "Short Course  Domestic Installer "  or similar .   Its run at the various colleges  , you'd need to look .  Birmingham Metropolitan James Watt , Great Barr  I think ...Garretts Green ,  Erdington  ...possibly Mathew Boulton .