Requirements for certification of works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yachty

Reaction score
We have just had a our spark in to test upgrade works to a residential project.

We require to certify upgrade works as detailed in our building warrant, this has been carried out and our spark has written out the certs.

However, a colleague of his has suggested that he should not issue the certs now on the basis that our existing split load CUs do not incorporate RCD protection.

This is a large house with 4 CUs, one to each floor. UFH heating circuits and towel rads have been protected with dedicated RCDs and there has been little other material change to the wiring other than additional sockets, lighting circuits and mechanical ventilation.

I find it hard to believe that the installation cannot be certified as is as all test carried out have been passed.

Appreciate your advice

changes and additions to lighting and socket circuits together with UFH, as referred to in the post. Work carried out by electricians.

So really the additions need to be compliant with today’s regs and therefore will need rcd protection. Can you confirm that this has been applied to ALL new additions? 

Hi

NEW additions are limited to UFH which is RCD protected.   Existing lighting and socket ring mains have been altered, ie extended and additional lighting added, but to prexisting circuits.

This project has been ongoing for a number of years and we have had a number of electricians over this period. Our current lad is excellent but is now a little unsure as he's had his interpretation challenged. 

Technically any changes to existing circuits requires the new parts to be compliant, some say that it should be the whole circuit. For what it would’ve costed in the grand scale of things it’d been more sensible to update the cu surely? 

Thanks for your input

I do agree and we are more or less reconciled to doing just as you suggest. However, we really need to submit to building control for completion and this now only hinges on the electrical certification. I am happy to replace all the CUs in due course BUT we really would like to be technically compliant now as delays will have ramifications I wont bore you with.

Replacing the fuseboards may not be necessary but changing parts will needed.

I find it difficult to believe that a competent spark doesn't realise that changes to lighting and socket circuits don't need RCD protection

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input

I do agree and we are more or less reconciled to doing just as you suggest. However, we really need to submit to building control for completion and this now only hinges on the electrical certification. I am happy to replace all the CUs in due course BUT we really would like to be technically compliant now as delays will have ramifications I wont bore you with.

Why the urgency to get a completion certificate? Selling up?

You mention the word WARRANT......isn't this a Scottish thing?

if so then it may possibly be different...but what do I know

Sorry, I didnt make that clear.

The project is indeed in Scotland.

It's been a long protracted project. Building warrant has lapsed and we are doing a late submission. This necessitates some of the urgency.

As works were carried out by other electrical contractors in phases over time, our electrician has only been able to do a SELECT full certificate of installation, despite the works being "minor". However, as our existing CUs don't have RCD protection he has been unable to enter test readings.

I am trying to establish whether this would be acceptable to building control as is.

We will upgrade all the CUs in due course.

Sorry, I didnt make that clear.

The project is indeed in Scotland.

It's been a long protracted project. Building warrant has lapsed and we are doing a late submission. This necessitates some of the urgency.

As works were carried out by other electrical contractors in phases over time, our electrician has only been able to do a SELECT full certificate of installation, despite the works being "minor". However, as our existing CUs don't have RCD protection he has been unable to enter test readings.

I am trying to establish whether this would be acceptable to building control as is.

We will upgrade all the CUs in due course.

The ONLY people that can tell you this is your Building Control Officer ......................

When you say  " Split Load Boards "  that have no RCDs  I'm confused  , there must be at least one RCD  ...assuming they are 16th edtion split loads .

Could  RCBOs  be fitted to the circuits in question ?  

I would also make the point that when a completion cert is submitted to  Building Control  they don't actually see it ...they just get a notification from the electrician's  Part P Provider .  The customer holds the actual certificate  .    

When you say "Large house with 4 floors "   is it a domestic dwelling  or a commercial business of some sort ? 

I'd guess the fact you have a different electrician at this point is causing an issue,

he could not have designed his part of the install before the regs changed, so therefore they are required to comply with the regs in force at the time he designed them, hence the requirement for RCDs