Aldi / Lidl Centre section

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Now I know you can get some half decent stuff there, but...

The other week on the way home from work I impulse bought a benchtop band saw.... don't particulaly need one, but theres a couple of jobs it'll come in handy for, and well....Its a new toy :innocent . Well came to set it up on easter monday (well what else can you do on an easter monday?) and found the base was a bit twisted, bit peeved off, but continued non the less, the band would not track anywhere near right, turning by hand it would come off within half a turn, however much you adjusted the tracking, whole thing must be twisted out of line, took it back, got money back cos they didn't have any more.

Why oh why, when shopping in the other store in town, and seeing they still had them, did I try and buy another? Sure it wasn't twisted and you could get it running with the band on (wasn't perfect though - it would align itself to the centre of one tyre and be towards the front or back edge of the other rather than centred oin both - so suspect the chasis wasn't perfectly aligned ). However with the slightest provocation it would decide to shed its band, it too went back to the shop, I have no desire to spend more time putting the band back on than actually using the damn thing.

I suppose (and I can hear SW laughing here) what did I expect for £90.... :(

Their air tools are ok for weekend use

bought the air vac drywall,sander....very good

stepped cone cutters....fantastic value.  Local branch had 50 and one bloke bought all of them

spray pain t is very good

most of their fruit and veg is a freqking disgrace....not helped by their covert use of sell by dates as most of the stuff has a code and not a date on it

peppers usually go off in 24/48 hours

some of the worst spuds in the world BUT the asparagus is fantastic

cheese and most of dairy stuff is good

my dogs won't eat Lidl chicken BUT are happy to lick their own 'parts'....probably to remove the taste of the chicken

we know what to buy and what To avoid "like a fly ridden dog turd on the pavement"

I bought a full set of there air tools over 10 years ago and still work fine.  I also bought a Parkside  (cant remember if thats Lidl or Aldi) multitool  for £14  over 5  years ago and just killed it trying to cut a  12mm hardened  steel bolt.

I also bought a Parkside
I bought a Parkside  cordless drill about 500 yrs ago ,  my first cordless ,   low price ,   not much guts   due to 12V battery  and only the  one  battery  but appeared to be of decent quality .     Spotted a Makita 18V on special at B&Q so went for that ,   gave the Parkside to a mate  some 8 yrs ago  ...he's still using it for light work .   

Can concur with the Multitool diagnosis, I bought one years ago for £30,  couple years later they had them on offer again, so I bought another for when the first one lets the smoke out.....its still in its box in my shed. 

Unbelievable value for money

bought a set of ratchet spanners for the boys to use on a large solar job, thinking they would last just about long enough to complete that particular job, and they are still working well many years later. (OK don't get used much now, but you can tell they will last). It's a bit like the 7Kg SDS hammer drill I bought for £50 from Screwfix, it works when I need it to, which is about once a year and didn't cost much. If I was using it more often I would buy a better make.

Got the mains multi tool from Lidl, it's spot on. The autofeed drywall screwdriver is great too. I was even toying with trying to add the business end onto an 18V Makita impact or drill body.

I too bought the drywall drill/driver.

got a large amount of boarding tomdo shortly so it seemed like a good idea

Once I got started I went a bit mad with mine just 'cos it was so much fun! Worth getting the collated screws when on offer too.

:Blushing

2018-04-17_03-04-15.jpg

Ta. @ProDave will be along shortly to take the pi$$ about how long it's taking and that I'm copying his shower install! :)

Should be good when it's finally done. Jet bath, UFH, wet room corner, wall drain, Bluetooth ceiling speakers, 9kW body drier, odour extract "at source" on the wall hung wc, magazine loading loo roll dispenser etc. Tbh thereafter things get a bit frivolous.

Local lidl  had the collated screws priced incorrectlydr 

somebody bought all of them  :innocent

Result...lucky git!  :)

Went in there tonight and sadly made no tool related purchases.

I've mulled making a 3D printed battery adapter so I could fit my Makita BL18** batteries to Parkside 20V cordless stuff. 

Ta. @ProDave will be along shortly to take the pi$$ about how long it's taking and that I'm copying his shower install! :)

Should be good when it's finally done. Jet bath, UFH, wet room corner, wall drain, Bluetooth ceiling speakers, 9kW body drier, odour extract "at source" on the wall hung wc, magazine loading loo roll dispenser etc. Tbh thereafter things get a bit frivolous.
I don't take the P.  I just point out my whole house will probably be finished before your bathroom.  My bathroom took about 8 weeks, remind the forum when you started yours.

I don't take the P.  I just point out my whole house will probably be finished before your bathroom.  My bathroom took about 8 weeks, remind the forum when you started yours.

Erm...13 Mar 2015 on eBuild when I first proposed digging the floor up.

:)