Gofor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofor

Reaction score
Hello Folks

Being an older spaky my title reflects instructions when first a young apprentice.

The new starter had no idea of what wanted doing so had to fetch and carry for all.

What an incentive to learn and become independent. Least I soon made myself useful.

That was the the late days of the 12th. edition IEE Regs

Been thinking about the development of security lights and how people want to use them!

Have you ever been asked to wire an PIR light without a switch that might antecedently be turned off?

So many options and types of application.. Should we raise this as a way of collecting some constructive thoughts.

Old in years but trying to keep up. I do not think the common market did our trade much good.

British Standards had a lot going for them. Never liked installation work and not built to be a tough rubber greyhound I preferred to be involved with fault finding and had an interesting period improving a factory reliability. Most work now is domestic with which I need to catch up. Look forward to healthy clean and constructive interesting words.

Welcome Gofor  ...at last someone who is older than me   :Salute .  

There is a lounge here ......at the end of that corridor ,...... see it  ?  .....  its where the ancient ones go  to play with their wind up meggers  and try to repair  their Avo's  and Matron comes round with the medication  about 3.00 ...then a little nap , then tea with toast & dripping  before listening to the latest  episode of  Dick Barton , Special Agent  or if you're lucky ....Journey into Space  , before bedtime .

I should warn you that lounge door doesn't open from the inside ..... the only exit is down a long cable tunnel  with a bright light at the end  ...there,s a landing stage  where a boatman awaits on the calm lagoon  to guide the wayfaring stranger forever onward ....................................     ..............           ..............         .....   

But ****** that for a game  !!    if you feel you're not ready for that yet  , stay in here and join the cut and thrust of the Daily Forum  ,  bandy words with some of the sharpest intellects in the trade ... ( they told me to say that )   ...the Forum  oscillates  from an electrical version of Radio 4  ..then veers between The Sun  and The Daily Worker .   

Please post a picture of your ETU card  for inspection by the Shop Steward , Steptoe  .   :Salute  

Makes me feel young  :B   I started on the 14th when everything was this modern metric stuff & although the conduit was, most the boxes were still 3/4"  so the apprentices job was to file out the holes.  I also remember all the boxes had every knockout missing as the sparkys took them to use in machines as they were the same as an old sixpence.

Welcome Gofor, well all I can say is where’s me nappy, I’m just not that old!! 
Yes but every day you're catching up :B      How are the knees holding out  ?    Hows the joints bearing up ?   Has everyone started mumbling yet  ? Eh?    Having to read the paper  from  2 mtrs away  yet  Eh?     :innocent     Hows the memory .....opening up the van  then thinking ...what am I doing here  !  yet ??  

Yes but every day you're catching up :B      How are the knees holding out  ?    Hows the joints bearing up ?   Has everyone started mumbling yet  ? Eh?    Having to read the paper  from  2 mtrs away  yet  Eh?     :innocent     Hows the memory .....opening up the van  then thinking ...what am I doing here  !  yet ??  

**** I’m older than I think 🤔 

Welcome Gofor, working to the 12th ed eh!

1950-55, and I thought I was old... ;)

Well I feel old these days, but I wasn't even born until the 14th came out!

Shall I get one or two of the regs you would have been working to then up for a laugh and post them?...