Dno authorisation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Williams

Reaction score
I resigned from my job with Scottish Power last year,I was being investigated for gross misconduct. Is Scottish Power within their rights to stop me from being authorised to work for an ICP?

it sounds like you had 2 jobs on the go, in which case it is normal to inform your main employer of the secondary employer, especially if there is a potential conflict of interests.

What exactly was the gross misconduct accusation?  Just the fact you were doing 2 jobs? or were doing something very wrong in the job with the DNO?

I've never heard of an "Independent Connection Provider "  .

What is it ?   A company other than the area DNO who can work on the network   ? :C

The DNO’s will rob you blind for a connection for either MV or LV. An ICP will run cables, etc to a DNO line from your installation for far less outlay. Then it’s up to the DNO to make the final connection so long as it meets their standards, this may be what the OP is falling foul of.

It's called "contestable work"

When I was getting the quote for a new supply to my house, one if the things in the quote was dig a connection pit in the grass verge on the other side of the road. The quote was something like £2K and that was already with me digging the trench on my own land.

As it worked out, I got the water connection first so Scottish Water made the road crossing.  While that was open I dropped in a length of duct for the electricity, and then dug my own connection pit the other side of the road.  So all SSE had to do was pull a cable through the duct into the meter box and make the connection in the pit I had dug.  That saved almost £1K from the connection cost.

That was the daft thing on this ,  I needed my own fuse for the sub main   ( More than 3 mtrs  etc)   they  have to finish at a sealable isolator  , so two isolators  rammed in there . Photo0484 (2).jpg