Why do I get the awkward so & so's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
A call to take a look at a job "It's only a small job mate but needs doing for Friday"

So the task is to put in a new 20amp circuit for a single phase compressor, drops in to look / quote, the place is an oily workshop..............where do I start....

1. oil & solvents stored directly below the two DB's floor slippy as courgette, let alone the fire risk.
  2. Both DB's are of the Asbestos flash pad type (MEM). 
  3. Multiple carriers are cracked / missing screw covers.
  4. Somebody has done some work on them since harmonisation of colours.

Anyway I mention the flash pads are an issue & the workshop guy is like "well I need it doing, why cant you just pull the fuse out gently & not disturb the asbestos"...................yeh right that aint happening...... "its not been a problem on the inspections the landlord has done, they pull the fuses to do the testing & we do the same to change fuse wire"

So how do you lot give the finger to a job without being rude  :slap     maybe not the finger but sorry Mr customer your landlord needs to put his hand in his pocket & upgrade the DB's .

Me I'm going down the route of giving him information overload & sending him all the HSE doc's such as document a33 & a quote/recommendation that the landlord get the DB's changed along with a nice riskassessment.

Include in your quote the price to upgrade the db's as part of the same job, I'm sure that will ensure the job does not come your way and if it does at least the work will be done right.

I refused a job to rewire what was clearly an asbestos clad prefab. The landlord looked at me as if I had just insulted his mother. But I was just not prepared for all the issues it would involve.

Well if Sidey reads this you know what he'll say ...........  "You can't touch the boards " .....  I have a similar customer  at the moment. 

You could have just said ‘thank you, however I value my health over money, so I’ll bid you a good day’ 

" Wow!!!!  Is that the  epitome  of good manners or what ?      I believe Sharpie to be  a time traveller from Victorian days .

The standard response would be ... " No thanks Pal  I'm not breathing that carp in ...so you can shove that  job where the Sun don't shine  "  

Was asked to look at a lighting fault in a house with an ancient mem board,  I didn't have to open it to see the asbestos flash pads as there was a roses tin full of spare fuses next to the board.

I politely declined stating that I would be breaking the law if I touched it and they should probably look at getting a rewire as the wiring was a billion years old anyway.

:)