Making simple 4 bulb lamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rpshaker

Reaction score
Hi, I am 39 and Ok at DIY. Not so good at wiring. I'm trying to make a simple 4 bulb lamp. Using 4 of something like this https://goo.gl/SVwkki simple lamp holder attached to a board, in a row. Can I use this technique https://youtu.be/9GJ5yILgauo using 3 core cable and a UK 3A plug? Would put the 3 spliced wire ends in a junction box. Please help.

Hi, I am 39 and Ok at DIY. Not so good at wiring. I'm trying to make a simple 4 bulb lamp. Using 4 of something like this https://goo.gl/SVwkki simple lamp holder attached to a board, in a row. Can I use this technique https://youtu.be/9GJ5yILgauo using 3 core cable and a UK 3A plug? Would put the 3 spliced wire ends in a junction box. Please help.

So are you going to be using metal pipe fittings as per your link or are you mounting onto a wooden board.  It makes a difference if there is metal work involved in your project.

PS

you only need to make the post in one section.

No metalwork. Just using the wiring plan. May just use 4 mounted lastic cordgrip type holders to keep wiring enclosed

Then just a case of wiring from one lamp holder to the next, I have done something similar in the past, I routered out a groove in the back of the wood so that the cable sat flush and hidden. On the first lampholder I "P" clipped the flex so that it was secure going to the plug.

Dont forget to downrate the fuse to 3A in the plug.

Anything you are not sure about just get back on here and ask.

Thank you. What does "no need for JB" mean?

I have attached a basic drawing of my new wiring 'plan'

Shows 4 lamp holders mounted on/through wood. Birdseye view.

Is this the right idea? 

20180417_112126.jpg

Oh. JB means junction box. Duh!

Assuming my wiring plan is acceptable, will I need to use 3 core wire (what type) for the whole thing?

Why do most electrical items seem not to be earthed?

Your drawing does not represent your Screwfix link, your Screwfix link would be more suitable as it is a batten holder and more suitable for screwing onto a wooden batten.

No earth required as there is no exposed metal parts.

The P clip I was referring to was the 2nd one, as in my case it was neater however the 1st may do, the 1st type are often referred to (depending on where you live) as tower clips after one of the manufacturers.

Keep asking 😀

I am unsure which light fitting to use. The batten holder has exposed wiring at the back, so I thought a cord grip lampholder (like picture) would be safer. Will figure out mounting after.

Is the wiring plan ok though? Be it batten holder or cord grip holder?

5330678_l.jpg

For mounting cord grip, I think I would make a hole through wood (size of lamp holder) then recess one or both sides so lamp holder can be screwed in. I can draw picture...

Still would like to know if wiring OK though?

As the saying goes there is many ways to skin this cat, your wiring without seeing the connections looks fine, just looping in from one lamp holder to the next then out on a bit of flex to plug.

Think you might struggle with that type of pendent lamp holder though because they are not designed for a cable in and a cable out, hence why I would suggest the batten type lamp holder in your original link would be my choice with the cable going into the baseplate of each batten holder so no cable on show.

Here is one similar I did but I used conduit on show so had to mount the batten holder onto a conduit box.

i have also made them on a long wooden base with the cable totally hidden behind the wooden base, in one of them I had to route out a track for the cable to sit in as the wood was fastened hard against the surface.

IMG_0113.JPG

If using batten lamp holder directly screwed on wood, I will have to have a hole in the wood for the wires to go through from behind. There will exposed wood near the connections at that point. How should I separate the wire from wood? 

Hope that makes sense...

Can't see any probs with what you say, yip wood drilled cable goes through into the batten base,  So not sure what you mean by exposed wood, I will mock it up and take a couple of pics for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing that. That was how I planned to mount them originally. I had these two posts on another forum which made me stop

1. These lamp holders will come with terminals to connect to. There will be an Earth terminal. Please use it.

2. Those batten holders have no pattresses to separate conductors and terminals from a combustible material (wood). How will you provide cord restraint from the final connection?

The first point has me still baffled as everything seems to say earth not needed.

The second point is where I was confusing you with "exposed wires". Hopefully that post makes more sense. Although I still dont get the last sentence about "final connection".

If you could give me your thoughts. I imagine I will be able to leave you alone (for a while) after that.

Thanks again.

Electrically any cable should have an earth at every point of use, however this is in relation to fixed wiring.  For a plastic lamp the wiring does not need to be earthed, though if you are using any metal fittings then these would need to be earthed.

Use two core flex it will be OK.

The link to Screwfix that advertises a loop in batten holder does not show the picture of the loop in batten holder as shown by Roys above it shows a basic batten holder. The loop in batten holders have a plastic base that mounts onto the wood and separates the terminals from the wood.  The sheath of the cable should be inside the batten holder.

Not that it would be too much of a problem in general but strictly enclosures of terminals should not be flammable.  I would expect a decent piece of wood would be more resistant to heat than a piece of plastic, however the flame retardants in the plastic would mean it would not continue to burn, unlike the wood.

The final connection would be from the first lamp holder to the plug and very likely to be under significant strain at times, the cable should be securely held (as by a correctly sized  P clip or cord restraint clamp) in place to prevent the wire pulling out of the batten holder..

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally can't see an issue re combustibility, if it is a concern to you then you can get batten holders that have a backplate, MK and maybe Crabtree make them.

Cable restraint is an issue, that is why I suggested a P clip, you will have to ensure you pick the right size P clip that will get a good grip on the the flex, I have seen me having to use 2 P clips butted beside each other to give added security by stopping the flex moving too much.

Earths even if not used should be provided and continuous at each fitting, note how I had to join and terminate mine into a piece of term block. If your batten holders have a back plate they will probably have an Earth post to connect on to. This is in case the light fitting is changed to a metal one in the future then the earthing is there.

Of course each install has to have its own hazards checked and mitigated against and this is usually by good workmanship and work practice.

Ahh Ardet is a faster typer, 😀but good to see we are saying the same thing.