French vintage lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen shepherd

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me please.

I ha've bought some vintage French lights that need to be rewired to meet current legislation.

My problem is that UK wiring is too thick to feed through the wiring canal, metal tube. I am aware that there isn't any wiring available that is thinner.

Has anyone come across this problem and found a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards 

Helen

Can we merge the threads please? 

Done.  (I don't think this was an intentional duplication, as both posts appeared in the same sub-forum at very similar time, Not like multiple posts in different forum sub-sections)

What is the CSA of the old wires? And what size lamps are you proposing to use in the fittings?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the lack of information, I have found in a similar sort of situation that the "gold" flex appears to have a thinner sheath and can fit through holes originally intended for two single core cables, with some encouragement. Flat two core flex is also sometimes useful, if no earth is required or a separate earth can be single insulated.

Hi all, thanks for the response.

I have now got some more information.

I hope this helps.

The size of the wire 2491 x 75 black & 2491 x 75 brown so add them together plus insulation a round the wire. The hole in the tube is 5 mm wide, I do hope that is what you want to know about the wiring. The place I went to said they don't do anything smaller as British standard. 

Regards 

Helen

Can we give the OP permission to post a photo  ?  

There will almost certainly be something to fit.......... a drawback is often you would have to buy a whole  drum of it instead of  , say 1 mtr.

Are the fittings made of metal .  Are they modern enough to have a Double Insulated sign    ( A square within a square ) 

Can we give the OP permission to post a photo  ?  

There will almost certainly be something to fit.......... a drawback is often you would have to buy a whole  drum of it instead of  , say 1 mtr.

Are the fittings made of metal .  Are they modern enough to have a Double Insulated sign    ( A square within a square ) 
you can get all sorts of conversion kits and short lengths of cable on e-bay