Newbie Interested in Re-training

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven Luni

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been thinking for a while about re-training as an electrician and decided it's time to commit.  I'm 39 and my career thus far has been as a software developer (mostly self-employed).  I honestly feel its time for a change.  I cant take the rollercoaster anymore and I dont think there's much of a future in software (at least for people who actually know the subject - not sure what theyre teaching them these days).  My first love was always electronics and its stil my main hobby (currently building a ZX81 from scratch on a breadboard).  I also need a job that is hands on and dont think I woudl have any problem picking up the skills and knowledge required.

So - I've had a quick search, pretty confusing actually.  Some sites say its dead easy and you can do a course in a couple of months etc.  Whereas when you look at the colleges and stuff they'll maybe offer 1 or 2 of the list of qualifications that you need.
Hopefully there are some wise individuals here that can set me straight :)

Colleges teach you to become an electrician where you will gain your technical certificates level 2 and level 3 these certificates are the fundamental's starting point,  whereas the short courses you mention teach you to become a domestic installer two entirely different courses altogether. 

To become a 'recognized' electrician in the trade you need to have your level 2 and level 3 and your NVQ 3 and complete an AM2, this will allow you to then apply for the JIB card which along will give you the gold card status which will allow you to work on site, commercial, industrial jobs. Hence why at college you will learn how to fit cable tray, trunking, PVC conduit, basket,  steel conduit, working with singles etc these are things you wont see on a short course.

Where as a 5 week course you will purely be taught how to fit twin and earth cable, ring finals. radials, ceiling roses, etc etc and then you will most probably sit down and complete you 17th edition and then your Building Regs  Part P and maybe they will throw in level 2 testing for a few days the 2392 dependant on which package you choose.

This will enable you to work on domestic dwellings where once confident you can apply to become a member of a CPS scheme like Napit, NICEIC.

I am not going to slate the short courses but if you do your research I would be very surprised indeed if you find any time served electrician who will recommend a short electrical course to someone new to the trade unless that someone was someone who was an electrician many moons ago who wanted to brush up and get his certificates.

That doesnt take away that there are many good electricians out there who haven't got the gold card status because there is, with many choosing not to go down the JIB route but have many years in the trade  but in todays market they say the JIB is the recognized electrician status. 

Its entirely up to you what path you take but remember a 5 week course will not make you an electrician. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.  The first thing I'll have to do is find funding.  I'm assuming student loans would be available for the college courses?  Some of what I've been reading is from people who have done a bit of study then managed to find a placement while they continued their training.  I'm not too bothered how long it takes or how much work is involved as long as I can afford it.

Nothing stopping you getting a job as an electricians mate and continue your training yes.

As for student loans the short answer is No you cant. You can though after you finish your level 2 get an advanced learning loan for your level 3 of which doesnt have to be paid back until you reach a certain salary.

Welcome to the Forum Raven Luni    ( I like it )   .  Choosing that name puts you well on the road to becoming an electrician . 

Excellent post by Mastbruch  by the way .  He's covered  the main points there  I think . 

None of the college courses do much to give you  the skills &  practical know - how to being an electrician to be honest  ....you need them for the various qualifications but theres no substitute for hands on training . 

I'm thinking that at 39  you  obviously need to earn a living and I honestly think your best course would be working as an Adult Trainee  or Electrician's Mate  and  attaining the quallies  as you go ,  perhaps night school   .  Can't see you getting a day release at 39 to be honest . 

Things these days are ...in my view ....are   difficult to say the least .     

Years ago the normal entry into the trade  would be  :- 

Leave school at 15  , get job with elect. contractor as an Apprentice .

Register with the JIB  ( Who grade operatives) 

Start college , either day release or block release .

Take   City & Guilds A                ( This was the minimum to qualify as Electrician ) 

Take    C&Gs                B                (  Qualify as Approved Electrician) 

Take C & Gs                 C                ( Qualify as Technician) 

Age 21   become  an Electrician       ( Called going  on the tools )    :)

Then depending on how brainy you are  , and if the firm were willing ...moving onward & upward  through ONC ..HNC   etc    ( Over qualified then as a Sparks TBH)