Had a good day?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better than mine I hope.

I had been chasing a wiring fault in the kitchen of a near neighbour. After managing to get a strip of floor boards up in the 4" gap between the sink unit and the wall (trying desperately to avoid it being a kitchen out job) I found the culprit, a cable pinched under a joist.  So I need to gain access to the same cable further along to splice in a new section.

The place to do that without ripping the kitchen out was the fridge recess.  So cutting a section of floor out with the multi tool starts a fountain. Yes a water pipe underneath and touching the underside of the board.

Main stopcock virtually seized, needed pliers to get it moving. Nope water still flowing. Ah it's hot water. Nope can't find any valves to shut off the hot water, so nothing for it but turn on all the taps in the house and wait for the tank to empty.

Then I was able to repair the pipe and fix the electrical problem.

Just one of those days.

I've done that and I hate it ...........you think you've found the problem and now its all plain sailing ..what could possibly go wrong  ......how clever am I  finding that fault :) ........ooooh   where,s that jet of water coming from  :C

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I was feeling a bit smug at getting a sliver of floor up without taking the sink unit out and finding the fault, thinking job done, it's easy from this point on. Then the fountain started.

I have drilled through pipes before, but this is the first time the multi tool has "found" one under a board.

We've probably all done it.

Mine was nothing to do with electrics but I had just put in a brand new pressurized central heating system and was so proud that it worked well and there were no leaks.

Then I nailed the last board on the landing, - straight through the main 22mm feed pipe and emptied the lot onto the parquet floor below. Plus, the damage was near a tee joint, by a joist, and a pig to repair!

Pahh!!!!      Noticed this earlier on local news (not too far from Lord Dekington of forum I.T. Support either, I think?).....

Wednesbury, West Midlands, sort of Black country come outskirts of Birmingham....

Some plonker cutting a trench for a power cable does a "PraDave" and nicks a water pipe....   :|

Well, when I say nicks a water pipe......

actually fractures a 20inch water main!!!!!   :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-43909936

I guess someone is getting one helluva bollo**ing off his gaffer.    baddayexplode

Hope their insurance is up-to-date!!!    :unsure:

:D :Chairfall ROTFWL

surprised @Blue Duck isnt in the photo, swimming around

Sorry mate, too busy installing tray in a huge office.

But I'll give you this from one of my old colleagues....

They hit the main. The man on the left ran to his van grabbed his coat and his phone, my mate thinking he was going to call in their mistake was supprised with mr lefty handed his phone to mr righty and asked him to take a pic of mr lefty underneath the lovely fountain they had just created! 

:slap

IMG-20180406-WA0003.jpg

Oooops! Hitting a water service is bad enough, I wouldn’t wanna be that digger driver.  :run  

Just wondering if the water main was shallow or if they were planning on laying cables 3 m deep?  :huh:

Latest posts