Replacing a Ceiling Fan with a basic ceiling rose/light with 2 switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raider29

Reaction score
Hello I hope I can get some advice here.

I removed a ceiling fan two weeks ago. The fan itself hasn't worked for years (snapped string) and only the light worked (via two switches) So basically I want to replace it with a basic ceiling rose and a basic light.

This is where I've got confused.

There are a total of 7 wires coming out of the ceiling.

3 red

1 black

3 earth (yellow and green)

The wires go to two plastic terminals.

One terminal is fitted on a brass bracket (for the fan)  is labeled "N,L,E" with the black wire going to "N", the red wire going to "L" and 3 earths going the "E" terminal.

The extra 2 red wires have been terminated into another terminal.

What's getting me, shouldn't there be 9 wires? Shouldn't there be 2 more extra black wires?

Also I checked behind the two switches and they both have switch lives (as expected) black with red tape going on them.

I done a test to check continuity and between the red and black wires going to the fan terminal. And nothing ( no beep or resistance)

How was it that prior to removing the fan, the two switches turn the ceiling light fan on and off? Was it because the ceiling fan had a built in switch itself?

Hopefully someone can shed some light. No pun-intended

Thanks.

looks normal to me. if you cant figure out that you put the existing live neutral and earth into the new lights live neutral and earth then you should be touching it.