Comparative sizes for SWA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have to hand , the comparative SWA  sizes  to copper cable  .  I have them but cannot find them .   ( And I'm getting really fed up ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that in the Regs then ?    I didn't know the Regs  covered that ,  thought it was just manufacturers   TBH   . If its in the 17th I'll  check it out .  Guidance note 8 you reckon ? 

I'm filling in what feels like 5000  EICR's    ...the 8 page  ones .   

Blew ourselves up this morning by  NOT double checking with the testers  :C         During EICR  , open up a TPN welding socket ,  measure Zs  , switch off MCB  ...(we know its the right one , can see the cable) .....   I shout  "Its off" ..my mate shouts   " Brown to Earth"  for R1 R2 ..I stick the prods in at the board , the warning light comes on the meter .....before I can shout again  my mate shorts out  Brown to Earth  and BANG !!!  

Although the correct MCB is off  .  only 2 phases are switching . 

Thank you everyone  for the results. 

Sidey I give up  ...  can't see any reference to  Guidance notes  .   I'd appreciate   the "official version"    although I've used the above  for the sake of the report.   

I'm coming across this in this  updated EICR  book  ....       " Conformation that SPD(s) are functional .  "    :C        I'm thinking some nasty disease  , can someone enlighten me as to what an SPD is    I've only been in the trade for 50 odd years   , bit slow  with all these acronyms TBH  . 

Blew ourselves up this morning by  NOT double checking with the testers  :C         During EICR  , open up a TPN welding socket ,  measure Zs  , switch off MCB  ...(we know its the right one , can see the cable) .....   I shout  "Its off" ..my mate shouts   " Brown to Earth"  for R1 R2 ..I stick the prods in at the board , the warning light comes on the meter .....before I can shout again  my mate shorts out  Brown to Earth  and BANG !!!

I'll have to ask. Why are you conducting an (R1+R2) test having already verified cpc continuity through a live Zs test in an already energised installation?

I'll have to ask. Why are you conducting an (R1+R2) test having already verified cpc continuity through a live Zs test in an already energised installation?
Because the EICR  book asks for it  .    I always considered  it was a waste of time  but  I don't print the books :C  

Surge protection device

Next year you’ll have an AFDD - A  F***King  Dumb Device I think Tony described it as? 
I'll look forward to that .     ...........not. 

How have we managed without them ? 

Do you want the tables from Guidance note 8?
I assumed Guidance Note 8 would be in the Regs  Sidey .    I 've always used the one that Sharpend posted  but now don' t seem to have .    

But now I don't know where these Guidance notes are ,  been scanning through earthing etc  .  

Does a zs verify the circuit earth or merely an earth path of some descript.! 

It is accepted as a means of verifying it on an already energised system. Dead testing is essential for initial verification as you need to verify it is safe to connect to the supply. For an EICR the supply is already connected. GN3 states that it is an acceptable method therefore to verify cpc continuity on an energised installation.

Because the EICR  book asks for it  .    I always considered  it was a waste of time  but  I don't print the books :C  

It doesn't. The Schedule of Test Results is common to all reports and certificates (MEIWC excepted). Nowhere does it state that every test must be done for an EICR - it just needs to be agreed with the client what you are doing and what you are not doing.

It just needs remembered that filling out boxes for the sake of it achieves precisely nothing.

How am I supposed to know that ?         These things from NICEIC are now 8 pages  , we have to move it around the site on a fork lift .  

If they don't want that info why are they including it .  

They also want all  the BS numbers  but on this  job some are  old cast  Bill /  MEM   rewirable  stuff ......I for one am not prepared  to start tracing ancient British Standards  on  60 yr old accessories  .      If the Electric Police are desperate to know  they can  sort it themselves .  

It just needs remembered that filling out boxes for the sake of it achieves precisely nothing.
Rest assured  I'm the last person to be ticking boxes for the sake of it....I'm as fond of paperwork as Stepps is  :innocent

It is accepted as a means of verifying it on an already energised system. Dead testing is essential for initial verification as you need to verify it is safe to connect to the supply. For an EICR the supply is already connected. GN3 states that it is an acceptable method therefore to verify cpc continuity on an energised installation.

Just because it’s permitted doesn’t mean it’s correct?

It doesn't. The Schedule of Test Results is common to all reports and certificates (MEIWC excepted). Nowhere does it state that every test must be done for an EICR - it just needs to be agreed with the client what you are doing and what you are not doing.

but it’s what they want so that’s what we do! Doesn’t make it right?