Adding a double pole switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My consumer unit is old with 2 spare fuses in board. There is also a separate double pole isolator switch that feeds the electric shower. I need a separate isolator switch fitted, can thus be fitted on top of existing metal cabinet or does it have to be housed inside metal cabinet. Thank you for your time 

i-have-no-idea-what-youre-talking-about-so-heres-27998990.png.89e248b4053aca9a704f821bf5c0ea7b.png

need a lot more detail than that

Can an isolator double pole isolator switch be fitted next too the existing metal cabinet that holds the old consumer unit in or does the isolator switch have to be housed in a non combustible box

Basically,old consumer unit is full with no space to put in an isolator switch, can I have an isolator switch fitted outside my old unit obviously with new tails coming from old unit. I am not an electrician. Just need to know if I should buy a separate say 5 gang non combustible cu that can be connected to old one. I am buying an electric car and company told me I need a separate mains double pole isolator switch fitted.

you may need a DP isolator fitted, however the circuit will require overload and fault protection, not just a DP switch. either way, this is not really a DIY job especially when you dont even know what you want

you may need a DP isolator fitted, however the circuit will require overload and fault protection, not just a DP switch. either way, this is not really a DIY job especially when you dont even know what you want
I have no intentions of touching electrics. I am only going by what car company told me. All they said is that I need an isolator switch fitted by my own electrical supplier.  But because I have no room in my existing cabinet and the regs say that all cu fitted should be non combustible material and I was wondering does an isolator switch fall under regs is have to be housed in a non combustible unit, so I do know what I'm talking about, it's straight forward

meh. throw in what you want. just make sure your insurance is upto date and keep the fire birgade / ambulance on speed dial
Why you so rude? I just asked a question maybe you don't even know the 2017 regsand an amature

so they want you to get your supplier to fit a DP switch. id expect this is so they can isolate the supply to split the tails and fit a 2nd consumer unit. in which case you need to contact your supplier. it also doesnt have to be metal because they work to ESQCR not BS7671

so really, if it was clear and you knew what you are tlaking about, you wouldnt be asking basic questions

I only asked a question which what this forum is for. You don't know how to talk to people, I never once said I was a fixer. Just asking a simple question really as a matter of curiosity and interest. But your a Geordie so I should've expected the answer you gave me. Good luck with finding work. You should have manners.

the regs say that all cu fitted should be non combustible material and I was wondering does an isolator switch fall under regs is have to be housed in a non combustible unit, so I do know what I'm talking about, it's straight forward

The regs do not actually say that all CU's should be non combustible. but they do say that before undertaking any alterations temporary of permanent, that the rating and condition of the existing supply, earthing, bonding etc. must all be verified as adequate for any additional loading to the installation. And that the alterations must be designed installed and tested to meet essential disconnection times, so as to not endanger people, property or livestock in the event of a fault. This work should then be documented on an electrical certificate and probably also notified to LABC for building regs compliance. Adding a significant load such as a car charger would in my opinion need a formal site assessment by a competent person with appropriate test equipment to verify exactly what can or can't be done. It not just a simple mater of can switch 'X' be fitted in or out of box 'Y'. So it is difficult to give any direct answers, without being on site, to your particular question. Some things can be guided over internet forums, others are best dealt with in person where all relevant factors can be properly assessed.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben post up your general location, I'm sure we (the forum) will have somebody in you locality that can take a look & give some advice.

As for DP iso switch for car charging.............it isnt easy to give advice with minimal descriptions (As Andy & the pancake pet  sort of state) post up some pictures of....

• the meter box
  • consumer unit (fuse box)

We might be able to help & advise a little more.

Best case (ive no idea what set up you have) split the meter tails to Henleys, drop into a switch fuse , this then feeds the car charging circuit & local isolation ......................but then im on a couple of days off & had a G&T ......or two :D

and the regs say that all cu fitted should be non combustible material
Well I've just fitted three non metal units at a single domestic property.

• Detached garage 
  • stables
  • Beside the prize Koi pond

Steps will be pleased all are TT'd........................but then so is the house  :slap