Extract fan and on /off hi/ low speed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christy

Reaction score
Hello lads, first time poster here. I have a fan controller and extract fan fitted in a pigeon loft for my old man to clear all the dust/bloom. I had a spark let me down as he's to busy and it is a bit of a ****ty job tbh, but I have the wiring left to do. Its going to run off a 3 pin plug. Thing is its got no wiring instructions with it and I cant find a match on google to marry up. On the back of the switch the on/off side I have L2 in the centre with the number 3 above it and 4 below it. on the other side of the back, the hi/low side I have L1 in the centre with the number 1 above it and 2 below it. The fan has a neutral,  H2, L1 terminal. Any help would be really appreciated lads. Thanks, Christy

Do you have any test equipment such as a multimeter? We really need a pic of what you have as that would give us a better idea.  You will need 10 posts unleas an admin can help out? 

Do you have any test equipment such as a multimeter? We really need a pic of what you have as that would give us a better idea.  You will need 10 posts unleas an admin can help out? 
So I got to write rubbish to make up 10 posts then

I thought I would find something on Google for it

Looks like it is probably two 2 way switches (why the first is two way I do not know)

So if that were the case and based on the report you have of the terminal labelling the power comes into common (L2?) on the first (ON OFF) two way, goes out of possibly 4 and that loops over to common on the other (HI LOW) switch (L1?) and then hi (3 or 4) goes to H2 and low (4 or 3) goes to L1.

Neutral and earth would need to be linked in separate lever action terminal blocks (not just taped together) and carried over to Neutral and earth on the fan.

However you would have to check continuity with a multimeter on the switch to ensure which terminal does what to be sure.

Looks like it is probably two 2 way switches (why the first is two way I do not know)

So if that were the case and based on the report you have of the terminal labelling the power comes into common (L2?) on the first (ON OFF) two way, goes out of possibly 4 and that loops over to common on the other (HI LOW) switch (L1?) and then hi (3 or 4) goes to H2 and low (4 or 3) goes to L1.

Neutral and earth would need to be linked in separate lever action terminal blocks (not just taped together) and carried over to Neutral and earth on the fan.

However you would have to check continuity with a multimeter on the switch to ensure which terminal does what to be sure.
Belled it out and jobs a good'n  Ardet. Thank you very much for your help mate 

Latest posts