Emergency lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Costock

Reaction score
A friend has a salon where she carries out treatment.Most of the visitors are ladies including pensioners. It consists of two rooms most of which are below ground level.

Access is down a set of external steps into one room. This hastwo couches a chair and desk. There is a door leading into a toilet witha small window. This is the only natural light.

Two doors side by side give access to the second room. THis has two treatment tables, a sink  worktop and cupboard.

The wiring is part of the ring main system for the house which is connected to the salon.

What type of emergency lighting would be suitable for this situatin in case of a power failure. The rooms would be in total darkness until the main access door was opened.

I would draw up a sketch plan, showing proposed locations of self contained fittings, and run it by the local fire authority.(who may refer you to a council officer) .

One fitting per enclosed space plus one outside the final exit door would probably be OK.

I had some dealings with escape lights a lot of years ago; the Standards were not difficult to follow and did largely correspond with common sense but for some reason the local authority wanted all maintained fittings. Its better to hear something like that before installing them!

I'd have thought for a place like that ,  illuminate the escape route  at 1Lm  ,  illuminate any change of direction  or level  ,  if you use one with EXIT on it or the Euro Running man  , it's  not to be classed as a light  only a sign .    Should'nt be too difficult  .

Just a thought , if you involve the council  they'll probably shut it down  or order a fire escape tunnel to be dug .         

I'd have thought for a place like that ,  illuminate the escape route  at 1Lm  ,  illuminate any change of direction  or level  ,  if you use one with EXIT on it or the Euro Running man  , it's  not to be classed as a light  only a sign .    Should'nt be too difficult  .

Just a thought , if you involve the council  they'll probably shut it down  or order a fire escape tunnel to be dug .         
And don't forget that the Man "running left" can only be used if the exit is to the left. In all other cases it has to be "man running right"  :C