The 'What the courgette' things you come across

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
This thread is for those things you come across that cause you to get leave shaking your head because you just haven't got the foggiest clue what was going through the guy's head who installed it. Prompted by todays findings:

EICR remedials, two interconnected ring final circuits, not just confused legs in the board, all four legs all had continuity with each other. Trace it out and find a a twin and earth cable leaving a socket, dropping into trunking, through the wall and to a socket behind some racking  (looking at this stage like its just an ordinary spur), however the socket it goes to already has a supply, its on the other ring, remove the interconnect and find the earth has been snipped off both ends. Cirucits are now two separate, complete rings

So anyone like to volenteer an idea why someone would run two foot of cable sideways from a socket, through the wall into the back of a socket on another circuit and snip the cpc off both ends? Because this has got me stumped, I can't work out what someone could possibly think the reasoning for it is

The house I moved in to, had the main fuse board with ever fuse 15A.

It gets better:

Each leg of the ring was into its own 15A fuse so 2 rings across 4 fuses.

Lighting wired in 1.5 mm t&e but of course connected into a 15A fuse.

Now WTGrape were they thinking of.

Just read Davies, must have been wired by The same bloke 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
When l moved into my place these was an mcb two 2.5 that were fed from other s/o circuits took ages to sort out, but that wasnt as bad as the twin s/o l found under the taps of the bath!

When I moved into this house there was a gas cooker in the larder of the kitchen ,  solid copper pipe butted against the cooker inlet and wound round with gaffer  tape  ,  no union back nut or anything !!!   

Accompanied by a strong smell of gas I might add.    Also bolts on the outside of what was the children's bedroom  , we figured they locked them in while both were out at work.