Mr lee

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbh

Reaction score
Hi there 

recently qualified still have a lot to learn and constantly have questions i would like answered so I thought I would sign up for some more experienced advice. 

First thing I have been testing some flats lately and on the last three flats non of the rcds have tripped at 1x just says 400ms and nothing happens but on 5x everything is fine any ideas? No something I have come across everything unplugged on he circuit 

have you tested the RCD in isolation from the circuits? what were the results of the other tests? its either a faulty RCD or a fault on the circuit

I have been testing all the flats and had no problems so far doing half x....1 x....1x 180 then 5x  and 5x180 the last three nothing on either 1x cycle my battery I just noticed has dropped below 10 could this affect it I am changing them now? I tested at the sockets then unplugged everything still the same then tested at the rcd itself still the same 

Test at the RCD with loads removed. What make of RCD?

I've had this symptom before with RCDs, they can 'hang' if they don't get tested regularly.

Is it a 100ma RCD fitted where a 30ma should be? i.e. 5x 30ma > 100ma trip current so appears to work ok.  30ma < 100ma trip current so no trip

Doc H.

I am retesting with new batteries tomorrow. They are 30ma rcds I have tested at the rcd with loads removed already no luck there thanks for all the reply’s 

I didn’t install anything I am just doing EICR’s on the flats 

That’s why I wanted to check I am not missing something or doing something silly seems s little strange all was fine and now three in a row have failed at 1 x I am going to try it at my house later too to check the battery theory 

Latest posts