Outside light....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Regarding an outside light....

Lets suppose you wanted to introduce an outside light,  with the light switch not having a return neutral I suppose the other way would be getting to the closest ceiling rose/junction box. Would it actually be possible to spur off the ring main into an FCU and fit the light that way or is this not possible.

It is best to come off a lighting circuit if you can so that it is obvious that it is a light problem when there is a fault.

There is no problem in fusing down from a ring and spurring off to a light, very often done on cheap and cheerful conservatories for the conservatory light to save taking up floors to get to the lighting circuit.

It is best to come off a lighting circuit if you can so that it is obvious that it is a light problem when there is a fault.

There is no problem in fusing down from a ring and spurring off to a light, very often done on cheap and cheerful conservatories for the conservatory light to save taking up floors to get to the lighting circuit.
Thanks Ardet

Sorry fellas same question. May be a silly question to you all but What if you wanted a switch with the outside light? How would that work, wont the switch have a switched live again hence not a return neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Andy says above, and to expand, if it is only one light circuit it is feeding use the fused spur as the switch, if it is two lighting circuits, as in you would have two switches (2 gang) then I would use a non switched fuse spur feeding the 2 gang switch.

Apologies fellas I am getting all mixed up.

So basically its spurring off the RFC in to an FCU and if it doesnt require to be switched on or off the light can be terminated in the FCU. Another silly question but I can only find 13a FCU's not 5A or 6a, is this a problem? Cheers

Right done a little drawing last night and just wondered if its defiantly correct apologies for going back to it.

For an outside light.... Take feed from RFC into FCU 5AMP, then connect the live from the FCU in to common terminal of the switch and then the light live into L1 connect the earths then use a Wago for the 2 neutrals? If this correct would you recommend 1.5mm Hi Tuff as the cable that goes outside of wall. 

Apologies for all the questions.