Greetings from Texas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native Texan

Reaction score
Good Morning from Texas! I purchased a new duplex home in the summer of 2016, for family use, though I do not live in it  full time. Normally, I live in Switzerland 🇨🇭

From the beginning, my daughter and I noticed a  high frequency sound, which we  tried to identify by process of elimination. Unfortunately,  it still has not been identified and it is almost two years.

Since I only visit occasionally, I honestly forget about this issue. Yet, each time I am here, I am bothered by the sound. It is quite disturbing and ruins the pleasure by such a lovely place. 

During the first year, whilst under warranty, we complained to the builder who diligently sent electricians to investigate the noise. No one else could hear it, though coming from the street it seems very quiet inside. I think they thought we were crazy! Yet, once alone and quiet, the sound is penetrating, almost painful.

Since I am currently in the house, I face this situation again and would be most grateful if someone who help us. I did not realize this forum is from the UK, but I suppose you might have a more objective opinion about American construction. 

Is the a measurement device which we could use to identify the source?

Kind regards and greetings from Texas.

howdy, you must first make sure its electrical, fist turn off all the circuit breakers at main fuse board if the noise stops, turn on each one at a time and when the noise starts tell us what it controls

Howdy! Yes, we tried this last year, though I am willing to do it again. The sound gets stuck in our ears and it is hard to differentiate. I do not have this buzzing in other locations!

Family still asleep so I’ll try later and report back.

Thanks!

That’s why I wondered if there is a measuring device!

Good evening .   Just wondering if you have a whole house  , recirculating ventilation system ,  the sort that runs continuously  ?  

I can't think of a measuring device  to be honest . 

Poni's suggestion  on switching off  then back on one at a time is the one to go with first . 

Some transformers can  emit noise  which could become noticeable  in a quiet house.

Could it be wind  wafting down from the White House ??    

Interestingly, I experienced the same sound in my nephew‘s brand new house this week! I have been living out of US for 30 years and this is our American home.  Could the different types of construction could make a difference? The wood (stick?)  framing with electrical wiring running through the walls is different than in Europe. Not to mention, vented air conditioning. ( miss that part!)

I know it sounds weird, but sure would like to figure this out or determine what kind of house I should purchase in the future to avoid the problem.

Lots of timber framed houses in Scotland, granted we don't often have air con, but I can't say I have heard of any issues like you are experiencing, but on a serious note I do have tinnitus from 30 years in industry, so I probably wouldn't notice any difference anyway.

As previously mentioned the best advice, turn off incomer,  if noise is still there it is either external or not from elelctrics in house.

Good luck in finding it and please keep us updated on this. 

It‘s morning, everyone else is asleep and I am alone with this zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !

So annoying ! 

I‘d like to go on a witch hunt, but the circuit  breaker is in my sleeping daughter‘s room. Ugh.😟

Tinitus?

Just to add that a friend is plagued by it when the surroundings are TOO QUIET. Then he hears this constant whine. So bad he's had psychological issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
At a rough guess, like me you probably lip read. It was the only way we could communicate working on the plant. One of the plants I worked on was in the Guinness  book of records as the loudest place on this planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until you switch off the mains we cannot move on .

Possible causes to date :-   

1)  Air Conditioning.

2)  A transformer in the house.

3) A hornets nest in the attic.

4)  Tinnitus 

5)  The Mexicans are tunnelling below  for their army to reclaim Texas .  (If so please clean your musket and report to the Alamo  immediately. )     

One of the plants I worked on was in the Guinness  book of records as the loudest place on this planet.

I thought the drop forgings and press work was bad  but going into  contracting  I think the Bottling Plant at Bass Charrington Brewery  was  the worst noise ....ear defenders  were mandatory  as 1000's  of glass bottles banged against each other on the filling , stoppering & labelling  track .