Self contained bell tamper

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might do.

Since an SCB relies on the battery to power it at any time, some have a "battery monitoring facility" if it detects a low battery the only thing it can do to indicate this is to create a tamper condition.

It could also be the low battery is dragging down the voltage dropping out a relay and causing a tamper.

It really depends on the make of sounder you have.

My own house sabt tamper  activated at 1.15am this morn  (and its .5 meter from our open bedroom window 🤐)

Its a Flashguard  (XL from memory )  as its been up there 18 years & never touched it,  along with the Castle Meridian  panel just as  long except that has had 1 new batt.

Has the tamper now cleared?

It may also be a panel low battery. life expectancy of a lead acid battery is 5 years.

Intermittent fault then.

(Although if the battery is as old as you say it is, I would still change it, but then its not my alarm)

It could be a weak micro switch at that age , coupled with a bit of wind movement . If it is the old type lever switch they lever does get weak with age.