Alternative to cable clips

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SingingSparky

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know of any good alternatives to the eternally frustrating cable clip, something that screw's in or fired in with a gun of some sort, I've seen a stapler type gadget, has anyone tried one of these and able to advise if good or bad?

What cable? 

Nail plugs? Never needed them TBH.

P clips...? not my favourite due to doing miles and miles of FP.

For telecoms/ coax I used a tacker or you could use a hot glue gun?

SWA cleats if the cable is chubby?

Or light taps with a hammer rather than whacking it???

:)

Hilti do a nail gun type gadget if you like expensive toys. I encountered some of these fixings once on a solar generation meter - complete git to remove.

Hilti nail guns are great so long as you have the correct nails and caps. I used a hilti to fasten a SWA to a steel I beam.

Used incorrectly they are down right dangerous.

Are you talking about the hilti fasteners that used a .22 bullet to fire the anchors into position? If so they are great! 

However, similar to a spiking gun, you need a firearms license for them. Just about every site I know of has banned them.

Incredibly useful tool, but as you say incredibly dangerous. 

I’m not surprised many sites have banned the use of them, they are bloody dangerous.

As an experiment I tried firing a nail in to a breeze block wall it went straight though leaving a crater blown out on the other side. A bit like an armour piecing shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the hand operated cable clipper like a staple gun with u shaped insulated staples are generally found not to be worthwhile, there is risk of stapling through the cable and they do not have the power to staple anything other than wood, unlike the Hilti "guns". Possibly less dangerous but at the expense of capability.

I used a  Hilti type spit 35 years ago to,fasten some tapered battens onto a concrete floor to,level it

thought I had done really well until,I kicked the battennand it moved. Wrong cartridges used...I think I used black instead of red or vice versa...nails had gone clean through the timber and disappeared below the concrete.

this was the old type withna 'break action', safety/prime button at handle end and a large plate at business end

as said before.  LETHAL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilti do a nail gun type gadget if you like expensive toys. I encountered some of these fixings once on a solar generation meter - complete git to remove.
They can shoot into steel and concrete.

I have a Spit and a Paslode nail gun 

you can get cable tie bases, threaded rod fixings, pyro clips etc. In fact most types of fixings are available. Both guns use gas cartridges....no F.A.C.required

I have a gas actuated Hilti gun. There are also explosive actuated guns by Hilti though.

I think the hand operated cable clipper like a staple gun with u shaped insulated staples are generally found not to be worthwhile, there is risk of stapling through the cable and they do not have the power to staple anything other than wood, unlike the Hilti "guns". Possibly less dangerous but at the expense of capability.
they are fine for lighting cables on wood ie around an attic