Outdoor PIR intermitant fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamess1994

Reaction score
Hey everyone, 

So basically a while back i installed a garage supply for a friend and put sockets and lighting in for him, and very recently he wanted outdoor lights in his garden.

So what i did was i cut the 6mm cable going to the garage and re-terminated and put in a junction box and spured off that with  13A Rcd fuse spur (this was the easiest way to get power) from the 13A fuse spur i connected one floodlight on a PIR which is under the porch and then 2 other lights on a switch in the garden.

But the problem i have is the floodlight on the porch will randomly just stay on and wont go off. (When i reset it, 10 secs off and back on it works). But my friend said soon as they turn on their tumble dryer on the garage the light comes on and stays on? Any ideas?

Its a LAP slimline LED PIR, just read the reviews and alot are reporting of the same problem! 

Perhaps there is a highish resistance connection in the supply that means when the tumble dryer goes on the voltage drops momentarily and the PIR thinks the power is flicked on and off and goes to manual on?

Yeah i was thinking this also, but upon reading comments on screwfix regarding the floodlight alot of people are having the same issue, i'll take my chances and swap it for a different mKe and hope for the best! 

I tend to fit separate PIR and floodlights these days, PIRs built into units can be quite random, by using separate units I can fit something like Steinel knowing it's a good quality item.

Good idea! Somtimes if its a few floodlights i put them on a seperate PIR but because this one is alone i thought the built in PIR would be more ideal, but like you said some of them are dodgy and replacing a PIR is cheaper than a whole new light i suppose! 

not so much cheaper, but if the light fails or PIR fails it's easier to diagnose, plus I've found some of the built in PIRs can't be pointed where you want them by the time you've angled the light to where you want it to shine.

I would agree with what Binky said, IMHO combined lamp PIR units are more hassle than they are worth. Even more so with LED lights as you have the added LED driver circuity in the possible causes of failure as well. Last year I had a client with separate PIR / Lamp fault where the lamp when triggered started flashing on/off every few seconds due to an LED driver failure. As it was separate PIR / Lamp is was easy to diagnose the lamp was faulty not the PIR. Also as PIRs tend to have a detection range anything from 5m, 8m or 12m if you cannot control its direction and sensitivity easily light pollution can become a pain for the neighbours. I have lost count of the number of DIY front drive combined PIR security lights I have seen, where cars in the road, and pedestrians walking on the opposite pavement, can still trigger the light that was only meant to be activated when you were approaching the garage door.   The sensitivity controls and the directional beam of any half decent stand alone PIR far outweighs any perceived saving of a combined PIR lamp.

Doc H

I now buy a lot of kit from Screwfix because they are  2 min from me and open silly hours, however i never ever will get any led floodlight  from them. I have a pile of 20 of different brands & styles which all  failed in different ways. Am in  conversation at the mo for compo

I now buy a lot of kit from Screwfix because they are  2 min from me and open silly hours, however i never ever will get any led floodlight  from them. I have a pile of 20 of different brands & styles which all  failed in different ways. Am in  conversation at the mo for compo

Didn't you get them replaced under the warranty?

I never buy flood lights from Screwfix - they are all crxp