Can you add a spur and a fused spur to a double socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom98765

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if you can add a single socket spur and a fuses spur to a double socket? 

The double socket is on a ring main, I think I have 2 options either add a single spur and fused spur to the double socket as above, or;

Add the single socket and the fused spur onto the ring main ? 

Any help would be appreciated 

Fused spur from the ring then the sockets, this is to prevent overload on the spur supply cable. Also take into consideration any load imbalance on the ring as one side may be more heavily loaded than the other.

As usual please ensure the supply is isolated and locked off before starting any work.

You can connect a twin  or two singles  on an unfused spur  with 2.5 cable 

Or you can fit a  spur unit   and fit half a dozen sockets   which would  be protected from overload by the 13A fuse  .  

Or you can fit a  spur unit   and fit half a dozen sockets   which would  be protected from overload by the 13A fuse  .  

I'm going to disagree with you on this .............

2 singles could be replaced with 2 doubles and then overload danger is present.....

1 spur, 1 "box" without any additional overload protection.

Well the way my brain works  Murdo  is that  the next person who comes along  wielding a screwdriver  takes the same   responsibility as I did  for the  re- design  of that bit of of the ring .  

Lets face it ,  after I have moved on  the screwdriver wielder  could turn up and disconnect one of the outgoing legs of the ring  ....leaving a giant radial round the  place backed by a 32A breaker .   

87989cf57c4a9599db2e8ed37493accc--idiot-quotes-quotes-quotes.jpg.d38ece2f2a65d8858b2370c33b22e16f.jpg

Without looking anything up (because i cant be bothered when its a loverly day today) i am sure the regs say one 1 outlet, doesn't matter if its a single, double or quadruple ?

I think the intent of the OP is to install both a fused spur (feeding something, but limited to 13A) and also install another unfused spur, from the same double socket, to a single socket.

Now this is nominally permissible, there are no regulations limiting where a spur may be taken from, though there is a recommendation that the number of spurs does not exceed the number of points on the ring and also that the loads should be distributed about the ring evenly and even further that the length of a spur does not exceed 1/8th of the length of the ring (puts paid to all those distant garages spurred off the house ring!).

However fitting four cables into a double socket is always fun to do and hard to get secure, but as far as I am aware there is no specific limitation to stop this.

I think the information about an unfused spur says it can feed one point, this is usually a double or single socket but a quad socket could also be installed as it would be independently fused so effectively four sockets on a fused spur with the fuse at the end of the circuit and the 2.5mm² cable protected against overcurrent by a limited load (nominally).