DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
James Johnston

Earthing and bonding advice needed.

Question

James Johnston

Hello any advice on fitting an earth to a remote builders supply ? I've seen copper rods at Screwfix or would a nearby stock fence wire be a suitable alternative ? The wire fence is right next to the shed, I've got 3 meters of earthing wire just want to know where to take it to must it be a copper rod ? Thanks 

Doc Hudson
11 minutes ago, James Johnston said:

Look read and answer my questions here let me help you "you'll need an earth rod it's a long copper rod you hammer it into the ground and the green earth wire bolts onto it you can purchase one from an electrical factor or diy store" 

As always safety first so remember to get a qualified electrician to check your work is safe before you switch on the supply. 

Anyone who is genuinely considering safety first would be applying the guidance of BS7671 in the design and installation stages, not just the "check it before you switch on" concept. Clearly from the photos and comments on this and your other thread, your concept of "safety first" is primarily around you protecting your bank balance. Whereas a professional outlook on electrical safety, which pivots around the fundamental principal given in regulation 131.1, to protect people property and livestock from the dangers which may arise around electrical installations, would encompass far more than just test it and switch on.

As said earlier, there are Heath and Safety laws that do cover the sorts of penny pinching attitude applied to your electrical installation. And there are prosecutions for contractors who cut corners around safety, especially on construction sites.  http://press.hse.gov.uk/2017/principal-contractor-fined-for-safety-failings/?_ga=2.24894906.1294426340.1527446457-491237689.1526974673  But as mentioned before, no doubt you will ignore good practical common sense and a professional application of Safety First. As you obviously are not competent to do this work, (otherwise you would not be asking here), and it appears you cannot afford to employ a competent person to do it on your behalf (which in reality will not be an extortionate amount in relation to the safety of others working on your site), which suggests you are attempting to undertake a project that is outside of your budget. Typically anyone undertaking work they cannot afford to do, which results in cutting corners in relation to standard industry guidance, is probably a bit of a cowboy trader. IMHO this thread is a clear example of how not to approach installing a temporary site supply and its associated earth arrangements.

Doc H. 

Murdoch
9 hours ago, James Johnston said:

Hello any advice on fitting an earth to a remote builders supply ? I've seen copper rods at Screwfix or would a nearby stock fence wire be a suitable alternative ? The wire fence is right next to the shed, I've got 3 meters of earthing wire just want to know where to take it to must it be a copper rod ? Thanks 

Are you being serious?

Sharpend

See James, when you were speaking about something you knew about -the excavators- you sounded a sensible guy, then you go ruin it by posting this drivel. 

Please for the sake of yourself and others leave electrics well alone. 

Are these jobs your jobs or are you just an employee? 

James Johnston

Strange replies I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

Murdoch
53 minutes ago, James Johnston said:

Strange posts I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

YOUR duty is to provide a safe, tested and certificated supply ..................  I can't imagine what Bob the Builder is going to say when you start killing his staff

Sharpend
1 hour ago, James Johnston said:

Strange replies I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

This clearly demonstrates your lack of understanding of different systems, for the sake of you and those that work with you take advice and get a professional sparks in. 

James Johnston
4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

YOUR duty is to provide a safe, tested and certificated supply ..................  I can't imagine what Bob the Builder is going to say when you start killing his staff

Of course I will I'm just trying to do as much of the work myself as I can there's no law against that it there ? 

Murdoch
3 minutes ago, James Johnston said:

Of course I will I'm just trying to do as much of the work myself as I can there's no law against that it there ? 

Good luck trying to get somebody to sign off your work

Sidney

I'm beginning to think the information under your name is imagineered...

Capture.JPG.f368688835ed47b515030d47eaecb403.JPG

Tony S

Sounds more like a builder to me.

James Johnston
5 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Thanks 

James Johnston
5 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Thanks 

btw does anyone know why this discussion is closed as I haven't finished ?

Murdoch
4 minutes ago, James Johnston said:

Thanks 

btw does anyone know why this discussion is closed as I haven't finished ?

Maybe because you are asking questions that a time served apprentice would know in their first year.

I suspect the same will happen to this thread very soon.............

roys

Just a thought, maybe the time served apprentice title bit he has added isn't referring to being electrical but maybe some other construction trade, brickie, plasterer perhaps, maybeeees ??? 😀

James Johnston
5 hours ago, Tony S said:

Sounds more like a builder to me.

Jack of all trades 

Tony S
14 minutes ago, James Johnston said:

Jack of all trades 

Master of none.

James Johnston

Ok know it alls here's how the jobs progressing the big switch on is as soon as I've got the earth rod buried what you didn't tell me is that b and q sell kits for this job so I went on Saturday first to the electric factor which was closed and then had to go to the big store ok please see photos they had cable clips too the kit and earth wire (photos the follow need to resize)  

James Johnston

Don't be too hard on yourself 

IMG_8412.PNG

IMG_8413.PNG

IMG_8414.PNG

Tony S

Believe it or not most of the electricians here are qualified to a standard way above your skill level. We try to maintain standards in our trade, idiots like you are a blight on our respected trade.

Murdoch

Can you post a copy of your EIC?

James Johnston

Yes once it's been inspected 

On 21/05/2018 at 20:36, James Johnston said:

Jack of all trades 

Yes we are a main contractor 

Doc Hudson
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:40, James Johnston said:

If you are, as you say, a Contractor and not just a hopelessly out of their depth DIY'er, then I think you may find there are laws applicable. http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/index.htm  But there again just as many motorists consider, speeding, drink driving, using a mobile phone etc. all to be requirements non-applicable to themselves, and as you obviously ignore basic industry guidance there is little point discussing good safe working practice that complies with H&S or wiring regulations. As you have no intention of following sensible guidance.

Doc H. 

James Johnston

Look read and answer my questions here let me help you "you'll need an earth rod it's a long copper rod you hammer it into the ground and the green earth wire bolts onto it you can purchase one from an electrical factor or diy store" 

As always safety first so remember to get a qualified electrician to check your work is safe before you switch on the supply. 

Sidewinder
On 21/05/2018 at 13:40, James Johnston said:

James,

Please tell me you are just posting this for a laugh, and it is all a wind up?

There are laws against shoddy workmanship, which could pose daner to others with electricity.

As far as your comment on “there's no law against it is there?”, well, yes there is actually.

The Health and Safety at Work erc. Act 1974, is a start.

Closely followed by the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989.

Then as you mention construction, there is the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015.

Following that there is the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Most of these have been amended since their publication, but, they are all still current law.

If I had time, I could give you the relevant regulations that your & your company seem to have breached as illustrated by your posts here.

Rob.

Has that "Earth" wire just been pushed into the ground?

This has to be a wind up right?