Earthing and bonding advice needed.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Johnston

Reaction score
Hello any advice on fitting an earth to a remote builders supply ? I've seen copper rods at Screwfix or would a nearby stock fence wire be a suitable alternative ? The wire fence is right next to the shed, I've got 3 meters of earthing wire just want to know where to take it to must it be a copper rod ? Thanks 

Hello any advice on fitting an earth to a remote builders supply ? I've seen copper rods at Screwfix or would a nearby stock fence wire be a suitable alternative ? The wire fence is right next to the shed, I've got 3 meters of earthing wire just want to know where to take it to must it be a copper rod ? Thanks 

Are you being serious?

See James, when you were speaking about something you knew about -the excavators- you sounded a sensible guy, then you go ruin it by posting this drivel. 

Please for the sake of yourself and others leave electrics well alone. 

Are these jobs your jobs or are you just an employee? 

Strange replies I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

Strange posts I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

YOUR duty is to provide a safe, tested and certificated supply ..................  I can't imagine what Bob the Builder is going to say when you start killing his staff

Strange replies I'll get a copper rod from Screwfix then I was going to ask more about earthing but I can see it's pointless by the way I saw a mobile site unit with an earth clamped into its Aluminium exterior panels and it was towable so go figure that one out if there's a fault when someone's working inside it and they step outside how will the fault dissipate ? 

This clearly demonstrates your lack of understanding of different systems, for the sake of you and those that work with you take advice and get a professional sparks in. 

YOUR duty is to provide a safe, tested and certificated supply ..................  I can't imagine what Bob the Builder is going to say when you start killing his staff
Of course I will I'm just trying to do as much of the work myself as I can there's no law against that it there ? 

Just a thought, maybe the time served apprentice title bit he has added isn't referring to being electrical but maybe some other construction trade, brickie, plasterer perhaps, maybeeees ??? 😀

Ok know it alls here's how the jobs progressing the big switch on is as soon as I've got the earth rod buried what you didn't tell me is that b and q sell kits for this job so I went on Saturday first to the electric factor which was closed and then had to go to the big store ok please see photos they had cable clips too the kit and earth wire (photos the follow need to resize)