Nextdoor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have this website in their neighbourhood  ,  just wondering  how widespread it is ,  nothing wrong with it .   

It used to be called Streetlife .  

Ideal for the small tradesman  to pick up work  it covers stuff like :-

Looking for a good electrician /carpenter /.builder /plumber  etc etc 

Lost cat /dog 

Suspicious men in area .

Local auction at ........

Items for sale .

Sign petition for .....

Nextdoor is an American site that purchased the UK Streetlife site back in 2014. Some aspects are similar others are quite different. (Streetlife was originally started by the people who did Friends Reunited). It will be interesting to see how long it runs for as a free service? Not sure how they get their revenue to operate.

Doc H.

Streetlife was "ruined" when it was bought and renamed Nextdoor .................. There were threads running on it after the take over and many local people ceased being members. 

If you do sign up, you have to give your name, and when you enter your address, unless you opt not to show your address you will be shown on the map .......

I do wonder what they are going to do with it because its all "free" ATM ................. our area has very few members on it. As Doc says - how long will it be free - I certainly would not pay to use it and I've not seen any adverts on it.

As for local "trades" - there are members on it who spend their time "recommending" themselves - which I always ignore - how can you recommend yourself? 

If you do sign up, you have to give your name, and when you enter your address, unless you opt not to show your address you will be shown on the map ...….

That was a problem for quite a few previous Streetlife members.  IIRC on Streetlife you could read and post comments without divulging any personal data if you so wished. Nextdoor didn't actually rename Streetlife they bought it, then closed it down, while recommending all previous Streetlife members to re-register onto Nextdoor. A small percentage did, but from my brief non-scientific analysis, I think the majority walked away. Some talked of setting up their own alternate social media groups on places such as Facebook. The basic principal that if the catchment area is smaller then it would be of less use to any businesses looking to generate new sales leads.  And this would probably only be relating to domestic work anyway. 

Doc H. 

That was a problem for quite a few previous Streetlife members.  IIRC on Streetlife you could read and post comments without divulging any personal data if you so wished. Nextdoor didn't actually rename Streetlife they bought it, then closed it down, while recommending all previous Streetlife members to re-register onto Nextdoor. A small percentage did, but from my brief non-scientific analysis, I think the majority walked away. Some talked of setting up their own alternate social media groups on places such as Facebook. The basic principal that if the catchment area is smaller then it would be of less use to any businesses looking to generate new sales leads.  And this would probably only be relating to domestic work anyway. 

Doc H. 

That could well be accurate ............... very few people in my patch are actually on Nextdoor

I do wonder why the Americans wasted their money .....................

I moved from Streetlife to Nextdoor .   On changing to Nextdoor  you register your name , address  etc  ,  they then write to you with a code number I think it was .   It was to prove your details are genuine  , which seems to prevent swearing , abuse etc   as your name  and road shows on screen .       This is no different really to being in the phone book or the  electoral list  as far as I can see. 

In this area,  for instance ,  local garages are recommended  by customers say ,    but also someone asked about using a certain building firm for an extension  and a flurry of  negative posts appeared  .   It seems to be working .  I also  don't know how its funded. 

Regarding Facebook , I'm on it but never actually post anything as I'm a boring  old phart    but  the bright young things , some of whom seem to be my "Friends"  spend much time on there  , generally posting pictures of their lunch  .  

I never understood why we can  log into this Forum using Facebook TBH   ......why not just log in ? :C   

There’s no allegedly about it.

It started as the “prostitutes collective”, they tried to legalise their trade by offering to pay tax on their earnings. HMIT went in to meltdown over the legalities of accepting money from supposedly immoral earnings. Several court cases ensued, none came to a definitive conclusion.

There’s no allegedly about it.

It started as the “prostitutes collective”, they tried to legalise their trade by offering to pay tax on their earnings. HMIT went in to meltdown over the legalities of accepting money from supposedly immoral earnings. Several court cases ensued, none came to a definitive conclusion.
I’m more impressed by what you seem to know about this industry especially as it wasn’t your chosen profession!!!!

a man of many talents is out Tony. ;)  

Well at least they could  not do them for tax evasion , at least they did offer..

If they are immoral they are in the shadow of corporate bussines.

Does anyone have this website in their neighbourhood  ,  just wondering  how widespread it is ,  nothing wrong with it .   

It used to be called Streetlife .  

Ideal for the small tradesman  to pick up work  it covers stuff like :-

Looking for a good electrician /carpenter /.builder /plumber  etc etc 

Lost cat /dog 

Suspicious men in area .

Local auction at ........

Items for sale .

Sign petition for .....

Anyone doing domestic electrical work needs to be on as many internet social media platforms as possible,

plus have their own website,

plus as much traditional advertising as possible.....

Anything that is free, Old Streetlife / Current Nextdoor / Facebook. are all a no brainer IMHO...

Plus Yell.com as the alternative to the traditional Yellow Pages....

Not really tried or got into Trusted trader etc...

don't like the concept of paying for a lead for work I may not get!!!

:popcorn

Not really tried or got into Trusted trader etc...
Naw !  Waste of money IMHO 

I keep urging the carpenter / plumber/ tiler/ painter / builder opposite me to use it .....build up his own customer base but he prefers subbing to a local disabled building alterations firm  that subs to the council .    

One of the reasons I advise that is I get the idea that these days , people don't seem able  to do any jobs for themselves anymore.     I'm seeing folk all the time who don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other . 

lots of hands off pepole these days, no doubt due to lack of apprenticeships and not teaching basic skills in school anymore. Don't knock it, it's great for business.