easy cert

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmac2714

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im thinking of purchasing easy cert. Does anyone else use this Ap and if so what are your thoughts ? is it worth the price ?

Thanks 

John

been using it for years, I like it although it may be cheaper to use on-line certs from NICEIC if you are regsitered with them. Downside of on-line is that you have to have internet access where as Easycert can be used off-line.

been using it for years, I like it although it may be cheaper to use on-line certs from NICEIC if you are regsitered with them. Downside of on-line is that you have to have internet access where as Easycert can be used off-line.
Many thanks binky..... have just purchased, seems quite good 

Currently use easy cert because it allows me and a colleague to easily share certs between us, however im quite impressed by Electraforms offering at the moment.

I used to use Easycert for everything, however I have for the past year or so I have been using the NICEIC online ones.

I used to use Easycert for everything, however I have for the past year or so I have been using the NICEIC online ones.
When it works!

One of the reasons I refuse to use it, the second is the one that Murdoch put...

The third is I'd rather take the risk with my systems being hacked, than those I have no control over.

The fourth is I don't want all my clients details with an organisation I don't trust.

There will be others.

When it works!

One of the reasons I refuse to use it, the second is the one that Murdoch put...

The third is I'd rather take the risk with my systems being hacked, than those I have no control over.

The fourth is I don't want all my clients details with an organisation I don't trust.

There will be others.

same reasons here. all data is kept in house on my own servers

The new GDPR rules may flag up problems with on line certification. Using on line certification you will pass on information about your client to a 3rd party, information your client may not want disclosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new GDPR rules may flag up problems with on line certification. Using on line certification you will pass on information about your client to a 3rd party, information your client may not want disclosed.

That is a very interesting thought ......so is there any direct guidance on this?

Privacy policy and t&cs should already cover this. "Data collected may be shared with third party's for the purposes of completing your job and issuing any required certification" just remember every time you notify a job you are sharing client data it is a unavoidable part of carrying out our jobs.

As I understand it some of the underlying points relate to the security of personal data that can identify an individual, such as names, address, phone numbers, emails etc. All business will have normal requirements to store certain customer details and these business will have operatives termed "Controllers" and "Processors" of the customer data. GDPR places legal obligations upon the Controllers and Processors to ensure appropriate consent to use the data and suitable procedures to protect your method of storage from any unauthorised data breach. 

With regard to both Electrical certificates and Part P notification, the key identification is the building where you have done the work. The actual client name in many cases has little relevance to the accuracy of the certificate or notification. It is probably only with a domestic EIC that the clients name and home address is potentially identifiable, but there is no need for full name or phone number or email on an EIC, on either hard copy or electronic storage.

However every self employed electrician has an obligation to keep records of every job location and customer contact details for both HMRC validation and so that in the event of a product safety recall, such as the self combusting MCB fiasco, you can identify if or where you may have installed a batch of faulty components. 

This link has a PDF you can download:  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation

The bottom line as I see it is that you have got to ensure you don't do unauthorised spam marketing, you don't sell data you have acquired to third parties for marketing purposes. You have data "Controllers" to oversee the usage and storage of any customers data that you need to store as part of your normal daily business. And you only store data for as long as it is absolutely necessary for the reasonable business activities.

Doc H.