Gland termination of armoured cable to garage yes or no?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dripstand

Reaction score
Does an armoured cable running to a garage or outside supply that runs inside the house for several feet before terminating at the main board and is not under any stress such as getting pulled need to be terminated in a gland inside the house or can it be stripped back and terminated through the rear of the main board so less obvious.

Example would be a three core armoured cable with earth as one of the cores (on Pme supply) so the armour itself is not being used as a earth? Just wondering what the rules or thoughts are? 

Thankyou 

thoughts are youre an idiot for considering that. the SWA must be glanded correctly and must be earthed at the supply end regardless of using the armour as an earth or not

The armour needs to be glanded correctly to ensure there's a good earth connection.

armour should be earthed both ends

only needs earthed at supply. you wont have an earth to conenct to at the other end as the armour is an earth (which you might not be using so doesnt need connected, and if youre TTing the load end then you need to isolate the SWA earth from the TT installation earth

One of the fundamental principles of electrical installation work states "Good workmanship by skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufactures instructions."   That guidance can be found in regulation 134.1.1. You can choose to ignore it if you so wish, but I would think anyone installing an armoured cable without industry standard terminations fitted would not be classed as either skilled or instructed in the practicalities of good workmanship. Adding a new circuit to supply an external building would also require a Part P Building regulations compliance certificate if done in England or Wales.

Doc H

only needs earthed at supply. you wont have an earth to conenct to at the other end as the armour is an earth (which you might not be using so doesnt need connected, and if youre TTing the load end then you need to isolate the SWA earth from the TT installation earth
for TT totally agree, but got told off for not terminating both ends of swa to a garage on a TN-S by my assessor one year.

if you are using it as a CPC then it will need terminating correctly inc earth to the earth terminal, if its not being used as a CPC then it still needs terminated but not necessarily connected to the earth terminal. either way, you still dont earth both sides, only the supply side is earthed, the load end is supplying an earth to the DB or whatever at that end

Does an armoured cable running to a garage or outside supply that runs inside the house for several feet before terminating at the main board and is not under any stress such as getting pulled need to be terminated in a gland inside the house or can it be stripped back and terminated through the rear of the main board so less obvious.

Example would be a three core armoured cable with earth as one of the cores (on Pme supply) so the armour itself is not being used as a earth? Just wondering what the rules or thoughts are? 

Thankyou 

You’re running a cable with an earth conductor, that means the remote installation can’t be TTed. The cable armouring becomes an interregnal part of the CPC (for want a better description) and should be properly gladded and earthed at both ends.

If you don’t know how to make off an SWA cable I would suggest you learn. There’s plenty of instructional clips on YouTube.

The bottom line as far as I’m concerned is get an experienced electrician involved.

You may think I’m a bit callous in my recommendation. There’s one fact we as skilled electricians accept, electricity kills and it’s our duty to protect the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re running a cable with an earth conductor, that means the remote installation can’t be TTed. The cable armouring becomes an interregnal part of the CPC (for want a better description) and should be properly gladded and earthed at both ends.

You don't have to connect CPC at the other end just Live and Neutral - TT is perfectly viable. 3 core tends to be cheaper than 2 core swa these days as few people use 2 core for anything. I've  always liked using 2 core due to being physically smaller, so looks neater and is easier to run.

You don't have to connect CPC at the other end just Live and Neutral - TT is perfectly viable. 3 core tends to be cheaper than 2 core swa these days as few people use 2 core for anything. I've  always liked using 2 core due to being physically smaller, so looks neater and is easier to run.

2 core is widely used and often cheaper than 3c

A valid point but going by the OP’s post he stated the 3rd core was to be earth.

Latest posts