Mobile Broadband

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Godfather

Retired
Reaction score
The Don would like to ask if any member uses this format, in particular speeds and general surfing of this service.

And of course which provider you are using.

The Godfather

Tried a few (tmobile, o2, orange, vodaphone). In London all was good and fast but outside its less pleasant. Not as bad as 9600 but not too far off 56k modem speeds.

Ian.

im signed up to tmobile for 24 months. worst thing i ever did. just google it and there are forums full of very unhappy people. avoid at all costs

i have a mobile with unlimited internet, plug it in your laptop and its free, dont tell ur provider though they dont like it .

i use the htc pda phone

i have a mobile with unlimited internet, plug it in your laptop and its free, dont tell ur provider though they dont like it .i use the htc pda phone
Can't use the phone while online though.

do u know ur probably right i never thought of that lol..

unless u use skype while online.

I use it, its all I have now.

o2

works all fine for me, I had a t mobile first, but coverage was terrible in my area so took it back and demanded they cancel my contract cos they had sold me a product that wouldnt do what it was sold to do, I have virtually zero T mobile phone coverage even here.

I dont download a lot of stuff, just the odd song or short video clip.

its limited to 3gig a month if that makes sense, not super fast but fine for general surfing/e,bay etc.

I use it, its all I have now. o2..

I dont download a lot of stuff, just the odd song or short video clip.

its limited to 3gig a month if that makes sense, not super fast but fine for general surfing/e,bay etc.
So what sort of download speed are we talking Steptoe?

Don

no idea Don,

how would i find out?

I tried to ping it once but the site need a provider and o2 mobile wasnt on their list,

it does say its 3G/HSDPA or somesuch.

I live just outside the M60 and coverage here is about half signal,

I would imagine the best method of finding out good coverage would be to try a phone first. my o2 phone gets almost full signal here.

if you have a link to a speedtest I will give it a go tomorrow evening, my laptop is doing some defragment or virus scan or something just now so isnt as fast(or its just slower) than normal., oh, its built in wireless too if you need it.

I pay

no idea Don,how would i find out?

I tried to ping it once but the site need a provider and o2 mobile wasnt on their list,

it does say its 3G/HSDPA or somesuch.

I live just outside the M60 and coverage here is about half signal,

I would imagine the best method of finding out good coverage would be to try a phone first. my o2 phone gets almost full signal here.

if you have a link to a speedtest I will give it a go tomorrow evening, my laptop is doing some defragment or virus scan or something just now so isnt as fast(or its just slower) than normal., oh, its built in wireless too if you need it.

I pay

With a decent 3g signal (i.e. london area not south coast :( ) could get 1.5-2Mbit/s or even more but without 3g (gprs/edge) then it was like the old modem days.

Do you have a good 3g signal where you plan to use this Don?

Ian.

With a decent 3g signal (i.e. london area not south coast :( ) could get 1.5-2Mbit/s or even more but without 3g (gprs/edge) then it was like the old modem days.Do you have a good 3g signal where you plan to use this Don?

Ian.
Excellent coverage on Vodafone, Orange & I beleive 02.

Don

hi, have done a test here, a few different ones at varying times today(I took the laptop in the van to work with me) and at a couple of different locations,

got betwee 5000 & 7000 each time

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

have just done another 3 now with some stuff running on the internet and it dropped to a worst of 2500 and a best of 4500 and 5780

I'll do that site of yours now Don, :)

obviously that site I was trying is full of rubbish, on looking at it again it says Im getting speeds like cable,!!!!!!

using the Godfathers link I got a far more sensible somewhere between 0.30Mbps and 2.30Mbps, dunno why the big difference, seemed to be when the fan was running on my laptop it was a lot slower!

by the way, my laptop is about 4years old and is only 1.4speed whatever, if that makes any difference.