Additional socket in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob3000

Reaction score
I have moved into a new house recently and want to add a socket to the existing circuit in the garage.

There are currently 3 sockets in the garage but are all along the same wall, I want to put one on the opposite wall.  Looking at the 2 way board in the garage, the sockets are connected into a 20A breaker.  All 3 sockets are individually wired directly back to the breaker.  Is it acceptable to wire the extra socket from one of the 3 existing sockets, or should it go back to the breaker like the others do?

Thanks

I have moved into a new house recently and want to add a socket to the existing circuit in the garage.

There are currently 3 sockets in the garage but are all along the same wall, I want to put one on the opposite wall.  Looking at the 2 way board in the garage, the sockets are connected into a 20A breaker.  All 3 sockets are individually wired directly back to the breaker.  Is it acceptable to wire the extra socket from one of the 3 existing sockets, or should it go back to the breaker like the others do?

Thanks

No idea why they have taken them all back individually. But if they are connect to a 20A circuit breaker then you can just extend off the most convenient point. However you do also need to confirm they are also supplied via an RCD to protect from electric shock as well as overload.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea why they have taken them all back individually. But if they are connect to a 20A circuit breaker then you can just extend off the most convenient point. However you do also need to confirm they are also supplied via an RCD to protect from electric shock as well as overload.

Doc H.
DIY central.