Do I need a new consumer unit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesp82

Reaction score
Hi, having a loft conversion built at the moment and the onsite electrician has suggested that I might need a new consumer based on there not being enough circuit breakers. This is pretty annoying as we had a new one put in and certified 2 years ago. There are currently 6 slots in the unit, 4 are in use. The loft requires a mains ring, lighting ring and smoke alarms - so I’m one short. I’ve noticed that we have one downstairs light on it’s on ring/circuit breaker. Can this be moved onto the house lighting ring to free up a slot? Thanks for your help!

When you say loft conversion , is it just one bedroom ?      I'm wondering why a ring main is considered necessary .   

Agree with opinions on smoke detectors , always connected to lighting circuit .  

Also the loft light feed could be picked up from the bedroom lights  below  or even from a 3A spur of your new plugs . 

It could actually be done without going back to the board ....but every electrician has his own interpretation .     The amount of power consumed by a bedroom is very small.  

When you say loft conversion , is it just one bedroom ?      I'm wondering why a ring main is considered necessary .   

Agree with opinions on smoke detectors , always connected to lighting circuit .  

Also the loft light feed could be picked up from the bedroom lights  below  or even from a 3A spur of your new plugs . 

It could actually be done without going back to the board ....but every electrician has his own interpretation .     The amount of power consumed by a bedroom is very small.  

unless its for hydroponics ...........................

Latest posts