Polarity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Evening Fellas.

I have basically set up a little test rig at home and when I get to testing the polarity on the 2 way lighting circuit nothing is happening when I switch the switches for polarity, its staying on the 0.72 I originally got on testing between the earth and line.

I have checked the wiring in the ceiling rose and the 2 switches and all look spot on. So I am stuck on this.

Any ideas

Thanks

Hi Andy basically exactly the same as the fella in this video. Where he is testing continuity and at the same time flicking the switches for polarity.  His r1 +r2 was 0.12 and then 999 when he flicked the switches yet on mine my reading is staying the same. 

Or if you are using a kewtech adapter, are you actually reading Rn + R2 which obviously won’t change when the switch is switched...

I am using a Kewtech mate, I am putting one of the testing ends on the earth terminal in the ceiling rose and the other testing end on the switched live. 

You are not testing at the loop through connection are you?

Loop through connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Something isn’t connected correctly

I am going to have a proper good luck tomorrow, its got to be wired up wrong as you suggest.

I think I have tested it all properly, put the line into the earth terminal on the CU, nulled the MFT, gone to low OHMS continuity, then crocadiled the earth on the rose while connecting the other lead to the SL.

If you have loop in wiring as per Tony's diagram then when you are testing for polarity and the readings are coming out the same, test the same test but put one probe on the permanent line (the other on earth) and see if that remains at 999 no matter where the switch is.

If so then you have connected the permanent line to the lamp and the switch is just connecting the loop in to the loop in.

This is particularly easy to do if wiring in singles.

784.jpg

Still not happening after following diagrams. I am getting 0.24 ohms between the Earth and SL then nothing whatsoever happens when I switch the 2 switches below. starting to get on my nerves now TBH. 

I have defiantly done the wiring correct. Took the N CPC & L to the ceiling rose, copied the diagrams from the ceiling rose to both sockets. To test continuity I have placed the line in to the earth bar yet still nothing. 

The tester seems to be taking forever to Null too

Would it be the tester do you think?

Are batteries ok

leads

how are you nulling it

have you got a check card or known resistor you can check against?....if not then get an old lamp of known wattage, do a few sums to calculate resistance and use that
It hasn't been calibrated as yet mate I have it booked in for Thursday. I am Nulling it with both crocodile jaws, It kept beeping twice then kept coming up with 5.00 for some reason then eventually it would Null.