Spot The Fault (s)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found on an EICR. 

odd_flex.jpg

I may have confused you, I changed it to a "spot the fault" but someone had replied already.

The "flex" is in fact 3 solid cores about 1.5mm one green'yellow, one black, and one blue. Definitely those colours not burnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea

I was fault finding a central heating system a few months ago - flex with 3 black cores .................. not numbered or marked in any way.

The mind boggles.

Faults were:

No earth sleeving.

This was the first spur, with 2 more spurs from that wired in the "flex"

Size and colour of the "flex"

I am left wondering where this odd coloured, solid cored flex came from and what would it normally have been used for? You see a lot of strange stuff up here, a lot of it I think falls off the back of an oil rig.

Theres a German cable ..I think ...with those colours in it .    Is the outer sheath really tough PVC ? 

NYM-J. Very commonly used in the south of Ireland. Somewhat similar to Hi-Tuff except it's not UV tolerant.

though you can argue Black is now a phase colour so nothing wrong with using that in an installation?

You absolutely cannot argue that as it is clearly defined that the phase (other than in a polyphase circuit) must be brown.

NYM-J. Very commonly used in the south of Ireland. Somewhat similar to Hi-Tuff except it's not UV tolerant.

You absolutely cannot argue that as it is clearly defined that the phase (other than in a polyphase circuit) must be brown.
So WHY is it made with G/Y, Blue and Black if there is nowhere you can use it?  Just where CAN you use it with those colours?

I remember being shown a piece of that ,  must be 28 yrs ago,  by the NICEIC  assessor back then ...   the greatly respected  Mr Ray Digger  ...know throughout the Midlands .   

If I remember right he thought it could be used in light industrial , commercial  as it would surface clip neatly and was tough as old boots.