Running an extension from a builders supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Johnston

Reaction score
Running an extension from a builders supply 

Hello I want to run an extension cable from a secure live builders supply, obviously I want to do it myself to keep the cost down the options seem to be an armoured cable or twin and earth above ground, the minimum distance is 55 meters and the maximum id want is 130 meters from the source. The cheapest option is to run twin and earth tacked onto a handy fence to finish in a weatherproof outdoor socket any advice please on size of cable lengths etc ? Thanks in advance  

The cheapest option is to run twin and earth tacked onto a handy fence to finish in a weatherproof outdoor socket any advice please on size of cable lengths etc ? Thanks in advance  

Size? 1.0mm may be pushing it a bit? so it could be quite a bit bigger!  Advice on cable lengths?  well I would guess its not less than 10m but it could be as much as 200m? As the view down the web-cam is a bit hazy.  Apologies if that sounds a  bit flippant, but anyone looking for the cheapest option for a builders supply over the safest option is not very worthy of a constructive answer IMHO. 

The cheapest option is surely two or three of these plugged into each other? https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-hdct4513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-45m-cable-reel-240v/47295

Doc H.

If you really want an extension cable buy a caravan mains hookup lead. Job done. Usually in 25 metre lengths. But more than 1 if not long enough.  The joints do well if you let them sit in a puddle.

Size? 1.0mm may be pushing it a bit? so it could be quite a bit bigger!  Advice on cable lengths?  well I would guess its not less than 10m but it could be as much as 200m? As the view down the web-cam is a bit hazy.  Apologies if that sounds a  bit flippant, but anyone looking for the cheapest option for a builders supply over the safest option is not very worthy of a constructive answer IMHO. 

The cheapest option is surely two or three of these plugged into each other? https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-hdct4513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-45m-cable-reel-240v/47295

Doc H.
Great I'll check out the extension but isn't it cheaper to buy a roll of cable ? 

If you really want an extension cable buy a caravan mains hookup lead. Job done. Usually in 25 metre lengths. But more than 1 if not long enough.  The joints do well if you let them sit in a puddle.
Good idea I'll price the options let you know how I get on btw the supply works a treat safe as houses 🏡 good old bnq to the rescue with their wiring kit 😂