Domestic qualifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwalk

Reaction score
Hello all I’m looking for some advice.

I’m a level 3 NVQ qualified electrical engineer working in a marine environment, I was wondering if I chose to try my hand with a domestic installer company how, if possible, would I be able to become qualified? What courses would I need to do? I have not had much experience with domestic work but am a confident electrician, who has worked with many different systems. 

Thanks for any replies 

Is it a case of you are a qualified electrician but merely lack experience in a particular field   ie:  Domestic   ?  

As with myself say ...I'm an electrician covering industrial , commercial & domestic  ,  but no experience in Marine engineering ?

Yes I am a qualified electrician and like you said I just lack experience in the domestic area, as I’ve been involved with marine work all my career, what advise would you give in order for me to progress in a domestic environment? Thanks for the replies 

Read a copy of the on-site guide and or the domestic part p guide to building regs or whatever the thing from the niceic is called, your knowledge and experience will cover the rest. 

Ok thanks, is there any other qualification I should do other than the 17th edition, because my nvq did not cover electrical inspection and testing, thanks 

Then you will want the 2391 or is it still the 2394 & 2395? 
Gone back to the 2391. Three parts just to confuse things a little:

2391-50: Initial Verification. This qualification is suitable for domestic installers who only verify new works such as their own installations.

2391-51: Periodic Inspection: This qualification is suitable for those who have gained a qualification in Initial Verification and have experience in Periodic Inspection. This is particularly aimed at electricians who have completed an apprenticeship after 2015 and have recognised skills in Initial Verification.

2391-52: Combined Inspection and Testing: This qualification is suitable for practicing electricians who carry out both Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection and Testing. At present we only offer the combined course.

Thanks Sidney, I wasn’t sure if it had already changed. 

Will make it more open to abuse this way though. If asked if you have 2391, some will say yes when they only have initial verification ticket? Hoping on the fact that the employer was meaning the old 2391???

It's becoming a nightmare now. I have to trawl through lots of CVs and this just makes it more time consuming. Calling it the 2391 is bad enough but the EAL qualifications are even more confusing, those certificates are written by the same flat earthers that wrote BS7671...