mervyn scott

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mervyn scott

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and would like information regarding 240volt timer operated with a 24vdc pulse to start the timer and operate a water pump for 3-4 mins. I am not sure what make or model of timer is available and would appreciate some advice, the pump is rated 5 amps.

Thank You , In advance.

Welcome along. I hope you find the forum useful.

Your easiest solution would be to buy a multifunction timer relay that can operate the coil on 24VDC and has contacts rated above (possibly significantly above for starting a pump) 5A.

You would want to set the trigger pulse to be long enough to energise the relay (0.5s is often enough) and set the relay for an off delay of 4 minutes, the relay would also need a continuous input voltage to the coil.

Because of the flexibility of these relays you can change the parameters easily.

Welcome along. I hope you find the forum useful.

Your easiest solution would be to buy a multifunction timer relay that can operate the coil on 24VDC and has contacts rated above (possibly significantly above for starting a pump) 5A.

You would want to set the trigger pulse to be long enough to energise the relay (0.5s is often enough) and set the relay for an off delay of 4 minutes, the relay would also need a continuous input voltage to the coil.

Because of the flexibility of these relays you can change the parameters easily.
Thank you for taking he time out to advise me firstly, if i'm understanding what you are telling me is I will have a delay of four minutes before the pump starts and I will need a constant 24v supply on the coil for the duration , what I was hoping for was to start the pump asap after the coil signal was received and that would lock on for the set time, maybe this is not possible.

Thank you,  mervyn

Thank you for taking he time out to advise me firstly, if i'm understanding what you are telling me is I will have a delay of four minutes before the pump starts and I will need a constant 24v supply on the coil for the duration , what I was hoping for was to start the pump asap after the coil signal was received and that would lock on for the set time, maybe this is not possible.

Thank you,  mervyn
All easily done with multi function timers, I tend to use Omron H3CA relays for this type of thing, and have done similar to what you are describing with them, you would need a contactor with this relay as the timer would not be able to handle the pump current.

PS They are not cheap but you don't need all the functions so a cheaper one would suit you..

Last edited by a moderator:
All easily done with multi function timers, I tend to use Omron H3CA relays for this type of thing, and have done similar to what you are describing with them, you would need a contactor with this relay as the timer would not be able to handle the pump current.
Thank you very much you men have been very helpful , i can now go shopping and get what i need .

Cheers men .

The ones on ebay I just looked at are lot number 153056786895

Don't buy the "from China" ones as China are ripping of the Omron ones just now so wouldn't trust them.

I of course have nowt to do with the seller for the listing lot number that I just gave you so can't accept any liability if it all goes wrong, but at £13.50 they are a good price to take a chance on.

Good luck

The ones on ebay I just looked at are lot number 153056786895

Don't buy the "from China" ones as China are ripping of the Omron ones just now so wouldn't trust them.

I of course have nowt to do with the seller for the listing lot number that I just gave you so can't accept any liability if it all goes wrong, but at £13.50 they are a good price to take a chance on.

Good luck

i'll give it a go and see , Thank you again. mervyn

Remember I think these timers can only handle a 3A resistive load so won't be able to power a motor, you would use these to switch a contactor  on to power up the motor.

Also don't forget about protection for the control and motor power side of things.

Remember I think these timers can only handle a 3A resistive load so won't be able to power a motor, you would use these to switch a contactor  on to power up the motor.

Also don't forget about protection for the control and motor power side of things.

Yes i was having a look just now for a suitable contactor, seems to be more available in 3 phase type , but i 'll get a new one if i have to , i really appreciate the advice and help you have given me.  mervyn