What exactly can an 'domestic installer' do?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfpaul

Reaction score
Hi there. :)

I've been pat testing for a number of years and have the 17th aswell.

One of my colleagues has been helping out an electrician for some time, and wants to get into the business.

He's said that he can take a domestic installers course, register with one of the bodies, then sign off his own domestic work ( rewires etc ).

Is this the case? Although he is quite experienced I would have thought that he'd need more training/quals?

He assures me he is correct..!?

Cheers.

He is. You can do a week or so course, join one of the little clubs and then be able to complete a full rewire without any legal issues (although the little club will asses his/her abilities).

Not perfect by any means but that is where we are now.

Ian.

Welcome to the forum GolfPaul, I think ianmacd has summed up the answer for you, but I am sure there will be a few more replies later when our regulars log on. There is a broad base of experience here who are all very helpful and friendly, though they do sometimes drift off topic a bit.

Doc H.

Hi there. :) I've been pat testing for a number of years and have the 17th aswell.

One of my colleagues has been helping out an electrician for some time, and wants to get into the business.

He's said that he can take a domestic installers course, register with one of the bodies, then sign off his own domestic work ( rewires etc ).

Is this the case? Although he is quite experienced I would have thought that he'd need more training/quals?

He assures me he is correct..!?

Cheers.
with you having 17th I belive you have all that is required.

It seems that under this government if you have a bit of old fish 'n' chip paper with a big letter P on it , you are an electrician where as in the last century a 6 year apprenticeship was required and not just in house bashing either.

Sorry if I sound urined off with it but I am , same goes for the government.

Last edited by a moderator:
with you having 17th I belive you have all that is required.
isnt even required,

Im with Deke on this one,

totally * off with all the five week wonders.

total *s the lot of them.

and most of the well I done it all by myself brigade at night school,

* * holes the lot of them.

Im working with a guy at the minute,(29 I think he is), a big I am, done it all through nightschool,

does his final exams next month,

he CANT even wire a 1 bed flat FFS.!!!

cant think for himself, never mind follow basic instructions,

ie, when you are told to use 1.5 it doesnt mean 1.0 will do cos the wholesalers didnt have enough 1.5 in stock.!!!!

got a good one from him the other day,

I cant do that he said, you will have to do it for me.

why asked I?

cos its too hard he replied.

gobsmacked.!!!! couldnt believe that was his reason.!!!!

he spent 2 days (YES TWO days glanding a SWA into an isolator) and it was still a * up, I ended up having to rip it apart and do it again, - now with shortened cables and still try and be half tidy.

Im gonna stop now cos Im about ready to PSCC a BS88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as above a DI can do anything domestic, rewires,new circuits and even periodics but i think if in nic they prefer you to have your 2391 and have been testing 2 years before doing periodics.. (might have got this wrong).

its a joke really,

i sub to a local council and can do any work they throw at me rewires/alterations and testing and i am only a DI.

prefer the gas but when slack drop on electrics.

as above a DI can do anything domestic, rewires,new circuits and even periodics but i think if in nic they prefer you to have your 2391 and have been testing 2 years before doing periodics.. (might have got this wrong).its a joke really,

i sub to a local council and can do any work they throw at me rewires/alterations and testing and i am only a DI.

prefer the gas but when slack drop on electrics.
you dont need to be with a scam provider to give PIRs, but if you want to use their logo/certs for PIRs then you do

the client wants nic pir`s . :) but for private i guess not .

Sounds as if you are about to blow , Steps, you need a nail across that fuse carrier if you carry on like that !!! ;)
DEKE, I have a meeting with the MDs and my senior manager on monday and Im gonna recommend they close down their electrical department, even tho if they do I will be looking for work.

simply because the people they employ at the minute are not only a danger to them selves, but to other people.

a while back I done a random check on a re-wire, EICed and totally finished so decided to compare my results with the sparks(NIC like to have something like 15/25% duplicate depending on size of firm)

took down last smoke, earth wire cut flush,

ok, not good, but not wrong either, no E terminal on detector, but NOT Zs either, took down all 3 detectors, earth had been snipped off.

so called spark says it was because there was no earth terminal so he didnt think it was needed, FFS,

and people wonder why I drink and smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isnt even required,Im with Deke on this one,

totally * off with all the five week wonders.

total *s the lot of them.

and most of the well I done it all by myself brigade at night school,

* * holes the lot of them.

Im working with a guy at the minute,(29 I think he is), a big I am, done it all through nightschool,

does his final exams next month,

he CANT even wire a 1 bed flat FFS.!!!

cant think for himself, never mind follow basic instructions,

ie, when you are told to use 1.5 it doesnt mean 1.0 will do cos the wholesalers didnt have enough 1.5 in stock.!!!!

got a good one from him the other day,

I cant do that he said, you will have to do it for me.

why asked I?

cos its too hard he replied.

gobsmacked.!!!! couldnt believe that was his reason.!!!!

he spent 2 days (YES TWO days glanding a SWA into an isolator) and it was still a * up, I ended up having to rip it apart and do it again, - now with shortened cables and still try and be half tidy.

Im gonna stop now cos Im about ready to PSCC a BS88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So would the person at college whose about to sit their level 2 practical assessment but doesnt know the difference between side cutters and long nosed pliers would probably fit quite nicely into your catagorys then.

Signed

One of those at Night School.

To Steps above post:

Wow even i know that the earths should have been continued all the way through and sleeved an choc blocked if not in use

So would the person at college whose about to sit their level 2 practical assessment but doesnt know the difference between side cutters and long nosed pliers would probably fit quite nicely into your catagorys then. Signed

One of those at Night School.

To Steps above post:

Wow even i know that the earths should have been continued all the way through and sleeved an choc blocked if not in use
Jono, you may well be quite competent, and I cannot comment on your work as I do not know you,

my point is that in all the 5week wonders(you know the guys!) and any of the nightschool students I have met, if they have something that doesnt look like the cubicle they were taught in then they dont know what to do.

I dont want to tar everyone with the same brush, and I really hope not everyone is like that, but until someone can prove to me that a 5week or 2year at nightschool course can replace a 4/5/6 year apprenticeship then Im yet to be convinced.

yours,

waiting to be proved wrong, Albert.

ps, how much practical experience do you actually have outside TN systems?

just because something doesnt need an earth now, doesnt mean that it wont in future... maybe stick a 'no earth on circuits...' on DB?!

guaranteed Mr. Handyman or Diy will come along and attach class I fitting, but not check earth, and assume is all well until someone gets a belt

I have experience with TT but thats from what little work i have done outside of college,(alot of TT installs around here), courses touch on them briefly. Always happy to pick up knowledge on anything i dont understand from people like yourselves which is probably what separates those who go on to be competent from the big head know it alls.

just because something doesnt need an earth now, doesnt mean that it wont in future... maybe stick a 'no earth on circuits...' on DB?!guaranteed Mr. Handyman or Diy will come along and attach class I fitting, but not check earth, and assume is all well until someone gets a belt
That was my point the earth should still be available at all points for such eventuality's and also in case of someone drilling/nailing the cable.

i did a 5day course Blushing im not feeling the love here :(

in my defense i did have quite abit of experience before hand.

ive worked with some "proper sparks" on some jobs too and a lot of em have a total disreguard for the regs. bonding? what bonding,safe zone? pah what safe zone.it works both ways imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts