DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

I know my place !

binky
6 hours ago, rapparee said:

There's no denying the success of the Catholic Grammar School

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/every-one-of-northern-irelands-top-five-schools-is-a-catholic-grammar-30140937.html

They are the elite around here.

My school was regarded as elite to, but was sod all to do with the brothers amd far more to do with the lay staff. As for criket bats - not far off, the weapo of choice was a leather strap, which some filled with coins....

kerching

We had

Cane

table tennis bat

size14 plimsoll 

brass bound bible

latin book called Ovids Metamorphoses 

most of these were favoured by the Latin teacher 

we had a couple of Teacher/Snipers who could take a your eye out at 30' with a board rubber......felt and wood. The SAS division could knock a flies genitals off with a piece of chalk at 20'

then there was  the Paedo PE/Maths teacher who had a window from his changing room into the showers. A whacking with the plimsoll,was better than being called in to see 'him'

just saying 

misssweden
12 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

I'm sure I remember you taking that trade test !!

Highly likely as I was nervous about it months in advance! I hate being assessed. 

rapparee
13 hours ago, kerching said:

We had

Cane

table tennis bat

size14 plimsoll 

brass bound bible

latin book called Ovids Metamorphoses 

most of these were favoured by the Latin teacher 

we had a couple of Teacher/Snipers who could take a your eye out at 30' with a board rubber......felt and wood. The SAS division could knock a flies genitals off with a piece of chalk at 20'

then there was  the Paedo PE/Maths teacher who had a window from his changing room into the showers. A whacking with the plimsoll,was better than being called in to see 'him'

just saying 

Well corporal punishment was banned whenever I was at school so I can't comment on that.

Also we were taught by lay teachers who were pretty normal, the brothers were all old men in the twilight of their lives who lived in the attached monastery, they would call in for a visit now and again but never anything sinister.

There was one young man Fra Joe who taught religion, he ended up quitting the Brotherhood for a woman. I think he broke up with the woman in later life and then retrained as a priest.

Also the vice principal was an ex-priest who gave up his vocation to marry a woman.

I personally think Grammar Schools are a meritocracy where brighter children from working/middle class backgrounds can access education which rivals the  fee paying English Public School system.

Evans Electric
7 hours ago, rapparee said:

I personally think Grammar Schools are a meritocracy where brighter children from working/middle class backgrounds can access education which rivals the  fee paying English Public School system.

I agree entirely  ...although I didn't pass  11+  and went through Secondary Modern ,  I think working class kids who are clever deserve a grammar  school  .

The rich & upper classes can't  create a "clever" kid  by just throwing money at him  but this country is strange .... if you speak with what sounds like  an educated accent  ,ie:  "Posh / Jolly hockey sticks /   1950's   BBC  English  .....you'll rise much further up the treacle stick  than someone with a regional accent . 

However it only works in England , have you noticed .....  you can't  suss out someone with a  Welsh accent  ,  the system doesn't work ,   all you can tell is  he's North Wales or South Wales  unless you are tuned in to the finer points .    

Scottish , if he speaks with a soft Edinburgh  accent you think , Oh aye he must be a doctor or lawyer ...if its broad Glasgow  you won't understand anyway . 

There are even Yam-Yams with brains  ..we met one once ..and ate him. 

rapparee
14 minutes ago, Evans Electric said:

I agree entirely  ...although I didn't pass  11+  and went through Secondary Modern ,  I think working class kids who are clever deserve a grammar  school  .

The rich & upper classes can't  create a "clever" kid  by just throwing money at him  but this country is strange .... if you speak with what sounds like  an educated accent  ,ie:  "Posh / Jolly hockey sticks /   1950's   BBC  English  .....you'll rise much further up the treacle stick  than someone with a regional accent . 

However it only works in England , have you noticed .....  you can't  suss out someone with a  Welsh accent  ,  the system doesn't work ,   all you can tell is  he's North Wales or South Wales  unless you are tuned in to the finer points .    

Scottish , if he speaks with a soft Edinburgh  accent you think , Oh aye he must be a doctor or lawyer ...if its broad Glasgow  you won't understand anyway . 

There are even Yam-Yams with brains  ..we met one once ..and ate him. 

Couldn't agree more

Funnily enough they reckon that's why Irish entertainers can be so successful over in the UK 

The Irish accent is deemed as classless to the English ear.

Obviously me and Risteard could pinpoint someone's background but not so to you guys.

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/191846/dara-obriain-terry-wogans-classless-irish-accent-was-very-easy-on-the-ear/

Evans Electric
1 hour ago, rapparee said:

Obviously me and Risteard could pinpoint someone's background but not so to you guys.

Yep  !  Thats how it works Rapparound   .   Dara o Briain I believe , has a degree in erm  almost everything !!!! 

Many Irish performers  well liked by the English back to  Shamus Android  ,  sorry Eamon Andrews  ,  Val Doonican , Frank  Its the way I tell'em ,  Dara , Wogan .

The mad bombers did nothing but drive a wedge through relations , certainly did here after the pub bombings  but people began to realise , its not the guy working next to you .    Now  we have the biggest St Paddy's day parade  outside of New York.   

A lot of Irish ex pats have said to me over the years   they won't speak against England  /Britain   ,  they came here , set up home , worked , married , raised kids  , were treated well  , fitted in .      Couldn't imagine what would have happened if they hadn't made the move .    

Yes  with the accent s....  I can only hear  Northern Irish    (  I drove an auld vern )     or  Southern Irish.  

People hear a Midlands accent  and assume its Brummie   but there many variations  including , Derby , Nottingham, Wolverhamton , Yam-Yam Land ,  West Brumitch  . 

Brummie accent I can almost tell which football team they would follow  Villa or Blues .   And most Irishmen in Brum follow Villa :C  

rapparee
37 minutes ago, Evans Electric said:

Yep  !  Thats how it works Rapparound   .   Dara o Briain I believe , has a degree in erm  almost everything !!!! 

Many Irish performers  well liked by the English back to  Shamus Android  ,  sorry Eamon Andrews  ,  Val Doonican , Frank  Its the way I tell'em ,  Dara , Wogan .

The mad bombers did nothing but drive a wedge through relations , certainly did here after the pub bombings  but people began to realise , its not the guy working next to you .    Now  we have the biggest St Paddy's day parade  outside of New York.   

A lot of Irish ex pats have said to me over the years   they won't speak against England  /Britain   ,  they came here , set up home , worked , married , raised kids  , were treated well  , fitted in .      Couldn't imagine what would have happened if they hadn't made the move .    

Yes  with the accent s....  I can only hear  Northern Irish    (  I drove an auld vern )     or  Southern Irish.  

People hear a Midlands accent  and assume its Brummie   but there many variations  including , Derby , Nottingham, Wolverhamton , Yam-Yam Land ,  West Brumitch  . 

Brummie accent I can almost tell which football team they would follow  Villa or Blues .   And most Irishmen in Brum follow Villa :C  

We had a load of Brummies over working on a press a month ago. They're from Schuler engineering

One of them was going on about the yam-yam Elvis (hadn't a clue what he was talking about), one was from Wolves and the other West Brom. We literally just assume anything to do with manufacturing in England is from Birmingham TBH.

Another one got has since got a job working for Jaguar.

Edit

I've just looked them up, Schuler Group are based in Walsall

Edited by rapparee

poni
4 hours ago, rapparee said:

me too and don't forget stepps

Evans Electric

Talking about Stepps  ,  where  is he again  ??  I'll have his guts for garters  ! 

Evans Electric

Going back to my original  question ,  its looking like no one was pointed towards a "profession"  ...more "Trades".   

My school was Sec. Mod  .  we marched , stood to attention ,at ease ,  yes Sir , no Sir , three bags full Sir .  Classes were silent . The cane  and size 11 gym pump ruled . 

My older brother went there , became a Ph.D   Metalurgist  and later an Anglican Priest  but my intake were funnelled  into the local factories & trades  of which there were many then . 

Everyone I remember went into engineering , toolmaking , printing , building trades ,  no one went into a "profession"  .

Some , quite few , went into armed bank robbery , post office robbery ,  some went into the Army but not past NCOs  ......   Oh! and a couple of them founded  Heavy Metal rock genre. 

rapparee
21 hours ago, poni said:

me too and don't forget stepps

Poni, you're both too long settled over there now. 😃

20 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

Talking about Stepps  ,  where  is he again  ??  I'll have his guts for garters  ! 

Steps, I actually speak to him now and again on a different non-electrical forum

poni

I be over there for the bank holiday 6th, I do back about 3-4 times a year don't you know, just to top up my accent ,

binky

I don't agree with the grammer school system, fact is kids of wealthy parents can be educated through the 11+ with a bit of private tuition to ensure they pass. I've met many well educated but fundamentally fairly thick middle/ upper class people over the years, (just look at our politicians) and many uneductated but clearly intelligent people from working class backgrounds. A good school should get the best from any child regardless of background. My local grammers appear to do well, but they start by selecting the best pupils, if you look at 'value added' to the child they fall short of several local comprehensives. They certainly failed my son, who left with very poor A level results, re-took his A levels elsewhere and has now finished his first year of his Maths and High Powered computing degree with a first. 

It is fair to say many working class parents don't really value education and fail to extract the best for their children, so it's not just a failing of the system, but even then, good teachers should be encouraging these pupils. I believe this is more likely to happen in comprehensives than grammers. 

Evans Electric
On 10/07/2018 at 13:28, binky said:

t is fair to say many working class parents don't really value education and fail to extract the best for their children,

Thats very true. 

Sharpend

I think you’ll find education is a thing of the past for many modern schools, too much time is spent on PC issues and the antisocial students for real students to get much of a look in. Oh and don’t forget the point playing for their league table position. So sorry no time for proper education. 

The decline is both a ministerial and social problem, we as humans need to actually stop looking at ourselves in terms of what we do and don’t have and actually get back to a few basics. 

binky

you've been reading te Daily Mail too much! Schools don't spend all their time on PC issues, far from it. They do fight for league table position which means they have to educate kids to pass exams at the expense of subjects like drama, sport, woodwork etc etc. However, does that turn out well rounded, emotionaly stable citizens? I my opinion it does not. The 3 R's are imporatant, but so are life skills. I find it interesting how many countires don't start formal education until about 8 years old ie when childrens minds are ready for it, where as we are OFSTEDing pre-school nurserys

Sharpend

Sorry Binks don’t read newspapers, all based on experience with dealing with several schools within the same council area, so maybe it’s a council lead thing? Either way the needs of children are overlooked unless they fall into the mid ground catergory of neither here nor there types. 

I do agree that the education system is all too cock in this country. Let them be kids before we manipulate and brain wash them. 

Evans Electric

Just off to slight tangent here ...... I believe that if parent's holidays  clash with schooltime , they should be able to take their child out of school  without being fined , punished .         ( Unless it clashed with an important exam say)  

Otherwise ,  sorry but the school is a secondary player in the child's life ...the parents come first .

Sharpend

Interesting, but consider the amount of time a child spend per day with the school as opposed to awake time with its parents then there’s an argument that the school should have a stronger argument? 

Still if children were allowed out for holidays all year round when would us old gits get some quiet time at beach??? 

binky

I work in several schools and was once a school governor, from waht I've seen if a school is paying attention to a particular type of pupil it's usually because there's money attached (call me cynical :pmsl1:  ) . They have do government agendas on race equality etc etc to follow which definetly occupy far too much time. 

Totally agree about letting kids be kids, some will spend a life kicking footballs, some will go to Oxford, but forced learning doesn't achieve much in my opinion othe than to put kids off. They need to learn the basics maths reading and english, beyond that there isn't anything like enough flexibility in the school system.