20A Radial or 32A Ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel.T

Reaction score
Hi Guys. 

Converted the garage (75%) to a man cave with a small heater and just a power lead to a laptop and maybe a lamp to the other available socket near a corner - but in 25% of space outside the man cave has a utility area where there’s fridge freezer and tumble dryer. 

Don't really want tripping issues in the future but does anyone think that a 32A ring or radial needs to be fitted as currently there’s a 20A radial and - just about to power up but now questioning my rationale. 

Bringing a leg back to the board won’t be an issue as I still have decent access to loft space from utility area.

Cheers 

Hmm, possibly pushing your luck on 20A, which is roughly 5 kW. My concern is the tunble dryer, which can run at something like 2.5Kw gor hours, plug ina 3 kW kettle and your man cave could be plunged into darkness, especially given you have a heater for winter use which is when you are most likely to use tumble dryer. If it's easy to add a leg and make a 32A ring, I would in this case.

Skip the cheap option, how much is the food in the freezer worth?

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Looking after the pennies for sure - would rather do it properly first and tbh was 2nd guessing it too hence the info seeking exercise and everyday is a school day. 

What type of fuseboard do you have?
Newlec garage unit - RCD protected from main board in the house. Thankfully a contractor dented my tarmac drive so Belway ripped it up and reinstated a nice new one - not before I got the guys to lay some armoured cable in a 2ft deep trench cost me £60 to get my garage hooked up, booked the rest out through work. We’ve all done it lol 😉

Hmm, possibly pushing your luck on 20A, which is roughly 5 kW. My concern is the tunble dryer, which can run at something like 2.5Kw gor hours, plug ina 3 kW kettle and your man cave could be plunged into darkness, especially given you have a heater for winter use which is when you are most likely to use tumble dryer. If it's easy to add a leg and make a 32A ring, I would in this case.
👍🏻