Road service vehicle and BS7671 regulations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie003

Reaction score
Greetings to the forum,

Hello... My name is Alex and I'm a newbie here.

I have a job interview at the end of next week and was wondering if you guys could help.

I am preparing a presentation of a road survey vehicle and its wiring schematics.

The vehicle is fitted with an inverter converting an auxiliary 12 or 24 V battery/vehicle alternator voltage supply to a single phase 230V AC.

The inverter supplies five appliances used inside the vehicle. Also installed in the vehicle is a double socket which is required for connecting two externally AC appliances e.g. laptop and test equipment, which can only be used when the vehicle is parked.

There are numerous 12V and 24 V DC control and instrumentation appliances fitted in the vehicle these DC loads derive their supply from the auxiliary vehicle battery/vehicle alternator.

In addition, the vehicle has an AC inlet connection.  This is used to connect the vehicle to a building’s 230 VAC single phase.  It enables the auxiliary batteries to be recharged and DC and AC appliances to be operated whilst the vehicle is parked in a garage.

Questions:

Summarise any parts of the latest edition of the BS7671 regulations which are relevant to this application.

To ensure the electrical design was complaint with any relevant parts of the electrical regulations, what would the designer need to specify in terms of layout and components?

What design factors need to be considered when designing such an electrical system especially with respect to Extra low Voltage DC systems?

When the electrical installation is completed are there any actions required to ensure the vehicle complies with electrical safety regulations? If yes then please elaborate.

I have prepared the block diagram already but have difficulties with the regulations and was wondering if someone could assist.

Thank you in advance and apologies for the long post!

Questions:

Summarise any parts of the latest edition of the BS7671 regulations which are relevant to this application.

To ensure the electrical design was complaint with any relevant parts of the electrical regulations, what would the designer need to specify in terms of layout and components?

What design factors need to be considered when designing such an electrical system especially with respect to Extra low Voltage DC systems?

When the electrical installation is completed are there any actions required to ensure the vehicle complies with electrical safety regulations? If yes then please elaborate.

I have prepared the block diagram already but have difficulties with the regulations and was wondering if someone could assist.
So are you asking these questions or is someone asking you them?

would you like someone to come hold your hand during the interview too?
Hi Andy,

Yes please. Are you free this Thursday morning?

But seriously, the reason I'm asking the forum is because I do not own the BS7671 and the closest article I found to the topic is regulations about caravans. (Which I don't necessarily think is relevant).

I don't want to cheat and of course if I find the answers I will be honest and inform the interviewer.

If you don't want to help though, please don't be sarcastic about it. It's just not nice. :)

are you actually an electrician or is this completely new to you?
I'm an electrical engineer. Moved to England a couple of years ago and basically this is my first effort to get into the industry I like.

That is why all this regulations are new to me.

I am working as an AutoCAD technician at the moment.

I'm an electrical engineer. Moved to England a couple of years ago and basically this is my first effort to get into the industry I like.

That is why all this regulations are new to me.

I am working as an AutoCAD technician at the moment.

do you know anything about BS7671? what is the job youre applying for (do they expect you to be qualified or trainee?)

do you know anything about BS7671? what is the job youre applying for (do they expect you to be qualified or trainee?)
Not much I'm afraid. I have asked for a hard copy from a friend but am not quite sure if I'm going to have it on time.

The job title is Electrical Design engineer. My understanding is that they are more interested in someone with CAD proficiency. 

tbh, id expect an electrical designed to be someone who's well familiar with 7671 & their requirments. you cant really design something if you dont know anything about it. do you have any experiance with electrics?

tbh, id expect an electrical designed to be someone who's well familiar with 7671 & their requirments. you cant really design something if you dont know anything about it. do you have any experiance with electrics?
I have worked in property development, re-wiring a house. I actually did most of it, apart from connecting the Distribution board to the mains, which you have to be licenced. 

I guess in this instance, the thing I have to focus mostly on is the 230V inlet?

I have worked in property development, re-wiring a house. I actually did most of it, apart from connecting the Distribution board to the mains, which you have to be licenced. 

I guess in this instance, the thing I have to focus mostly on is the 230V inlet?

not just the inlet

mobile & transportable units also have their own special requirements (section 717) in addition to the rest of BS7671. its not something that you could easily learn in a few days from a forum, esecially if you dont own a copy of the regs (and if you do go buy one, get the newer 18th edition, 17th is being replaced)

what country are you from?

not just the inlet

mobile & transportable units also have their own special requirements (section 717) in addition to the rest of BS7671. its not something that you could easily learn in a few days from a forum, esecially if you dont own a copy of the regs (and if you do go buy one, get the newer 18th edition, 17th is being replaced)

what country are you from?
Thank you Andy. At least I will have a look for more specific stuff now (knowing that it's the 717 section). I already found a couple of things in the web.

Very bad timing for me to answer that question but I'm Croatian! :)

Thank you for your time today!

OP - what exactly is the interview for ?

And what skills / qualifications / experience are they asking for ?
Hi Murdoch,

the role is for Electrical Design Engineer.

They are asking for a Senior engineer but I think they are very flexible. At least that was what I was told.