Retraining in late 40's ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon48

Reaction score
Hi all, I know this has been probably been touched upon many times before but I need some advice tailored to my situation.

So I’ve enrolled on a City and Guilds NVQ level 2 Electrical Installation Course at my local college with the intention of possibly retraining to become an electrician; I’ve done some minor electrical work at home before and have recently become more interested in furthering my knowledge of electrics. At the moment I’m a freelance community art worker and have, in the past been a school teacher.

So the big issue is that I’m in my late 40s, yes I know, I’m getting on. The college seem fine with this but have pointed out that I may have problems finding someone to take me on to complete the qualifications further down the line; I don’t really have any contacts in the industry either.

So my dilemma, with the course starting in September, is- would I be wasting my time doing this course; am I being totally unrealistic about my becoming an electrician at my ripe old age?

Any advice is appreciated.

So you’re only as young as you believe. Age is not a barrier to doing any job, nor is it to any training. 

So you don’t know anyone in the industry eh? Well there’s a fair few on here you’ve just become aquatinted with??

so now what’s stopping you? 

Where are you in this land? 

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree with your comment about the fact that age shouldn’t be a barrier to training, I suppose my concern is that some industries have a very traditional ‘baked in’ hierarchy in the way they are set up and in the way you progress within them- apprenticeship just out of school (almost exclusively male), working then as an electrician’s mate etc; for some people, taking on a trainee that is older than them can take too much imagination, it’s as if your upsetting the delicate balance of the universe or something. But if everyone else in the business is as encouraging and open minded as yourself that’s encouraging, cheers. I live in Cardiff.

Hi, I guess domestic as that's what the course is but I don't know too much about the other possibilities.

Anyone with enough common sense, motivation and reasonable understanding of English and Maths, will be able to undertake courses and attain a good pass rate at numerous qualifications. However it is still a general rule that the majority of people have more success getting into any chosen field of work if they already have some contacts within that trade. The old saying "It is not what you know, it is who you know" is still very much a reality in todays workplace. But it is also true that those who are too scared to have a go, don't succeed. You will never know if you don't try, but don't expect a easy ride. Your biggest question will be how long can you afford to keep pushing on closed doors before one opens?   

Doc H.

family and freinds tend to suply about 6 months of work to get going, but you will learn a lot quicker by working with another electrician. Trouble is finding one who will give you a chance...