Met. Vic. AVR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
The Metropolitan Vickers archives are held by the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, they have been helpful to me in the past. You can contact them on +44 161 606 0127

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a really old reference book which describes the principle of operation and shows a schematic, but nothing specific to manufacturer.

Yeah, same here. A few books that deal with Tirrill regulators, but not this one.
I have three Tirrill regulators and they are all different. (This one, a Max Fuß and an Oerlinkon)
I have been thinking the insulation might be asbestos. I will keep it as is. It is such a nice job and if you don't mess with it it is going to be all right.

Hubert

Hi,

No, we don't have the generator with it. The unit came from a museum and I don't know where they got it.

We have a couple of generators with a separate exciter. I was planning to make excitation bus bars in the main switch board and connect several different voltage regulators that can be switched on and off for demonstration purposes. We have a couple of Brown Boveri AVR's and a few Tirrill AVR's

That's a great idea. I suppose the main task will be setting up the field resistances so that the various different kinds of regulator can all interface to machines that might have very different ratings compared to their original applications. Otherwise, some might be at a disadvantage in terms of accuracy and stability and it wouldn't make a valid comparison. I'll be interested to see the setup, do keep us posted.

I recently added to our collection our first Isenthal rotary interrupter AVR. Unfortunately the original shunt resistance and voltage control for it are missing but it's a start. It came attached to a 22kW motor-generator set,  might post some pics of that.

For most of the generators I have the original field rheostats.

As the AVR's are connected in series with those, so I don't expect too much trouble. They don't need to adjust over a wide range, since most of the generators we have are way too big for any load I can think of. (35, 40, 60 and 125 kVA).

You don't want that Isenthal rotary AVR. It's not gonna do you any good. Just give it to me and forget about it.

ps: that is very high priority on my wish-list!

Hubert