Hello from a New Member

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelleyEE

Reaction score
Hello TEF! 

Could someone confirm the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm twin and earth in parallel? I have a Induction Hob with a load of 7.4kw and the spark before me has installed the t&e in this configuration to generate a 5mm cable. I would have just used 6mm all the way.

No, it was already in place in conduit behind plasterboard from the CU to the isolator.

The client has to ask. Something doesn't quite fit in my mind? The current wiring design doesn't account for maximum load or the reference method of cable installation.

Required load from Induction Hob:   7400 / 230 = 32.17a

2.5mm + 2.5mm twin and earth current carrying capacity of 32a

MCB 32a

All looks borderline to me :(

The reason I'm asking all these questions is simply from the Isolator 2 x 2.5mm on supply and 6mm from the load side. I'm connecting the hob to the 6mm but since binky is confident all is good then I'll go along with it :)

I think the main point with this thread is that you CARE  about what you are doing .     I agree that two  2.5mm  in parallel  would make most of us stop to think .

However as Tony says , theres diversity  and the fact that they are protected by a 32A breaker anyway .  

I'd say it,s slightly oddball  but not dangerous .  The circuit is pegged at 32A  .    Lets face it ...kitchen fitters get away with murder when they do the electrics but they are competent because they did a half day course. 

There are 500,000  showers  upgraded by non sparks   ( I counted them)   still connected to the original 6.00mm  cable  and either 32A or 40A  breakers  .    The cables cope because a shower only lasts for , say , 10 mins    . Sometimes the 32A's  start tripping in the hot weather  but often the shower is turned to half power .     

I'd say it,s slightly oddball  but not dangerous .  The circuit is pegged at 32A  .    Lets face it ...kitchen fitters get away with murder when they do the electrics but they are competent because they did a half day course. 
I am about to correct a fault found on an EICR. An oven AND an electric hob, both fed from a 45A DP switch connected to the kitchen ring,

It has been working like that for donkeys years and nothing has caught fire. But it is still wrong so getting put right.

Latest posts