Courses/career path

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Persona019

Reaction score
Hello I signed up to this forum a few months ago but never got round to posting. 

I currently work in the hospitality trade mainly front of house, I am pretty happy with my current job but I have always wanted to learn a trade such as this but never got round to it and if I can make a new career out of it then that would be amazing.

I am 25 and have a house, mortgage etc so becoming an apprentice would probably be out of the question so I have been looking at some part time courses at college in the Chester/Merseyside area mainly the EAL level 2 electrical installations part time as it only costs £900 for the 2 years compared to the city and guilds level 2 electrical installations at another college that costs £1850 but is 1 year.

If anyone could please offer advice on what path they would recommend? Would doing the EAL level 2 electrical installations course over 2 years he enough to maybe get some work as a mate ? Or should look at doing some of these training center courses that cost thousands? I am not in a rush or anything but any advice would be welcomed.

Sorry if this has been answered already or is posted in the wrong area.

Thanks 

Don't bother with the training centres they wont teach you anything other than how to pass an exam.

not sure what the difference is between the EAL and C&G is?? but lvl 2 should get you some mates work if you can get some experience and a reference beforehand.

:)

Don't bother with the training centres they wont teach you anything other than how to pass an exam.

not sure what the difference is between the EAL and C&G is?? but lvl 2 should get you some mates work if you can get some experience and a reference beforehand.

:)
Thanks for the input 👍

I was thinking that the training centre courses looked to good to be true. Apparently the EAL course is on par with the C&G and is also JIB approved ? i might just need to work work for free the odd day to get some experience or something 👍

Welcome to posting on the forum, good luck with the career progression (remember to get some savings behind you to get you through lean times).

EAL and C&G are technically equivalent according to the Qualification Credit Framework  and EAL are becoming more recognised by industry but C&G have been around longer.

Many training centres now use EAL (Being cynical because they are probably cheaper and easier to pass) in preference to C&G.

Just be aware that the EAL level 2 and 3 diploma is equivalent to the C&G 2365.

If you can do the EAL Level 2 Diploma In Electrical Installation 600/6724/X at your local college then this will be a good start to your qualifications, you should be then looking to learning up to the EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) and AM2 (possibly AM2S, not sure now) to progress onward.

Practical experience will definitely help you both in training and in employment and future progression.

Latest posts