Residual current drain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer63

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 HDi. The parasitic drain varies between 130 and 160 milliamps, I have a brand new battery in it. The offending fuses are numbers 39 (interior lighting-EOBD diagnostic socket) and number 34 (chronotachograph, telephone, alarm, remote control, air conditioning control). I don’t have telephone or air conditioning in the van. With these two fuses removed, the drain is 13 milliamps. Fuse 39 draws about 78 milliamps, 34 fluctuates greatly between 35 to 80 milliamps. Any ideas on what this could be will be greatly appreciated.

Many many years ago my mate was trying to find out why the battery on his dads car went flat every week. Car only got used at weekends and coronations . Tracked it down to the new fangled digital,clock he had fitted recently. It was one of those with the numbers 'behind each other' similar to old style petrol pump displays. Seemed to be a type of filament lamp. Drain was ridiculous

Alarms and remote lock systems will have a current.

The interior light one seems odd; it's not enough for a light stuck on, but perhaps you have a leaky door switch, or, if its the type that dims itself slowly, etc, a dodgy electronic module. Try taking the bulbs out to see if the "leak" goes away.

Many many years ago my mate was trying to find out why the battery on his dads car went flat every week. Car only got used at weekends and coronations . Tracked it down to the new fangled digital,clock he had fitted recently. It was one of those with the numbers 'behind each other' similar to old style petrol pump displays. Seemed to be a type of filament lamp. Drain was ridiculous
Cheers, I’ll check all the non-standard extras

For an occasional use car, investing in a trickle charger may your only option
Thanks, I’ve got one, but I was hoping to eliminate the excessive parasitic draw.

The interior light one seems odd; it's not enough for a light stuck on, but perhaps you have a leaky door switch, or, if its the type that dims itself slowly, etc, a dodgy electronic module. Try taking the bulbs out to see if the "leak" goes away.

Geezer63 said:
Cheers, I’ll check all the non-standard extras

Thanks, I’ve got one, but I was hoping to eliminate the excessive parasitic draw.

Cheers Geoff, I’m on it