Turning off the mains on an Accenta G4 Alarm system.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repairguy

Reaction score
Hi

I need to turn off the mains power to the upstairs lights ( to replace the on/off switches) and the G4 is wired in with them.

When I turn off the mains the alarm goes off.

Does anyone know how I can stop the alarm when I turn the mains off?

I can't enter my code as the keypad is off too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The correct solution is to replace the knackerd battery in the alarm panel......

The reason the alarm sounds when you turn the power off is that the external sounder can no longer see the panel and thinks the wires are being tampered with,

New battery in the panel will keep it all working sweet and peaceful during power failure...

Other than that you need to get a ladder up to the external bell box where the sound is coming from and physically disconnect it.

Guinness

try getting things serviced instead of ignoring and hoping they dont break. im sure your neighbours will love you at 2am when there is a power failure

try getting things serviced instead of ignoring and hoping they dont break. im sure your neighbours will love you at 2am when there is a power failure
Yeah sure - I've just moving into house so working on things slowly

Take pictures of all the connections on the back of every switch  before disconnecting anything, but even so i bet you will be back here asking as at least one wont work  😀
Haha! I've just unplugged the battery and it's got a red and black connections marked- replacement arrives Wednesday, so if I'm quiet after that it's all good lol - or I've electrocuted myself!

O right - Thanks . All sorted and everything is up and running :)

Assume this means you now have a new battery fitted?

If yes, have you written the date on it so you can remember when it was installed?

(perm marker pen is normally ok to put installed date on side of battery)...

As a generally rule these batts a have a manufacturers recommended life span of approx. 5 years..

So remember to get another fitted around July 2023.

Guinness  

Depends on brand of battery. YUASA will last 5 years no problem, other brands don't last as long.

Most you can tell how old they are by looking at the serial number (next to the terminals) it starts off with the year

Assume this means you now have a new battery fitted?

If yes, have you written the date on it so you can remember when it was installed?

(perm marker pen is normally ok to put installed date on side of battery)...

As a generally rule these batts a have a manufacturers recommended life span of approx. 5 years..

So remember to get another fitted around July 2023.

Guinness  
Good idea! I'll write it and stick it in my hotmail calendar. Cheers!