EICR - 1x C1 + 7 x C2 - Advice gratefully received!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malarky

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

EICR has been done for a house we want to buy.  The seller said he can't remember any electrical work being done during the 25 years he's lived there.  Odd.  Now we know why his memory has (selectively?) failed him...  report is unsatisfactory.  I've been trying to understand what the obs mean, haven't yet spoken to the bloke who did the EICR (will do on Monday!) starting to panic it is very bad report and will be too expensive (seller has already refused to budge asking price on other issues so I imagine if it's expensive I'll have to walk away from the purchase).

I'm aware C1 and C2 need fixing now, to obtain a 'satisfactory'.  Please could someone reading help me understand what needs to be done and how much it could cost?!  It's in Sandridge, just outside St Albans, Herts.  This is our first purchase, we've been saving for nearly 20 years (yes!) and are buying an unmodernised 1970 built 3-bed semi.  Yes it is St Albans but not everyone is minted (just sayin' 😉)

C1 - Exposed live parts that are accessible to touch, such as live conductors have no (or damaged) insulation - kitchen  Obviously, need to know what and where.

C2 - Class 1 fittings and switches are not earthed  -  what does class 1 mean?

C2 - Absence of supplementary bonding where required, such as location containing bath or shower.

C2 - Fire risk from lamps exceeding the maximum rated wattage for the luminaire or placed too close to combustible materials.

C2 - Absence of a circuit protective conductor for a circuit, other than a lighting circuit, supplying Class 1 equipment.

C2 - Insulation resistance of less than 1m between live conductors connected together and Earth, when measured at the consumer unit with all final circuits connected.

C2 - Earth fault loop impedance value greater than that required for operation of the protective device within the time prescribed.

C2 - Existing RCD is faulty and not operating correctly under test conditions.

FI - Inadequate cross-sectional area of main protective bonking conductor where the conductor is less than 6mm2

FI - Earth conduct readings on main ring are too high - FI required

There is a long list of C3s too.    

Summary states:  This installation is aged and requires updating to match current regulations.  A full re-wire should be considered.  Fire risk assessment :  there is mains powered smoke alarm installed, the fuse-board isn't fire rated and the existing down-lights are not fire rated.  (Building survey also mentioned the down-lights in the kitchen - original 70s and need replacing).

Please help!

Kind regards,  

Anna