I'm Looking to get electricity in my detached garage that is down the road.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison Baker

Reaction score
Hello, so I have been looking to get mains electricity in my detached garage that is down the road from my house (about 100m away). I was wondering first if would be possibly and second  how much roughly it would cost?

unless you own a route to get a cable there then unlikely. you may be able to get permission from council for overhead cables over the public highway but its not likely. best option is either a generator or get DNO to install a supply (which would costs ££££)

Get a price from the DNO to get it's own supply, they will take care of wayleaves.

Assuming you won't be using much electricity there, you could then put it on a 0 standing charge tariff.

But the cost may be prohibitive. But it costs nothing to find out.

If its in a block of garages, is it worth speaking to the other residents to see if anyone else would benifiet from power in a garage, you could then split of the cost of having a DNO supply installed to a GRP kiosk externally, then its a small dist board and some MID meters, the problem is that someone would have to be selected to be in charge of paying the bill from the supplier and reading the sub meters

This question has popped up here a few times and generally, unless its a business its cost prohibitive. In N London new supplies start at £1000 &  in addition you have to dig trenches, fit ducts  etc anywhere not public property.