Could we open a new section on the 18th editon ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above ...could we ...should we ...open a new section to discuss  , air and criticise  the latest cash collector ...namely the blue covered device that will be pumping extra funds  into the  IET ,  NICEIC  , NAPPETS   & colleges    once we all start shelling out our hard earned cash  YET AGAIN . 

We can have as many different sections as you like, but they all need creating and setting up, then managing, and moderating, and topics moving around etc.

This all takes time, we have a limited resource.

Also the forum is so quiet, it would result in traffic spread out across more different areas, rather than concentrated in those existing.

FWIW I simply don’t think the IET and JPEL / 64 have any interest in listening to any criticisms.

too many vested interests 

too many money making opportunities for the vested interests

the scams aren’t interested either ..... they too are vested interests needing to make money 

need I go on?

they wont listen to us, were not paying them enough to not add stuff

tbh, biggest surprise is they dropped the 'thou shall do DNO's job and fit a rod everywhere'. at least for now, im expecting it to be in amd1

I shall probably join them TBH  , getting too old for it all now ,  really couldn't give a flying phart  anymore ....its a definite scam these days .  I noticed something about  ..." to keep in line with Europe"......  ....we're coming coming out for FFS  , why are the Regs pandering to them ? 

I'm  semi retired now ,   NIC don't  look at a lower rate for someone not notifying so much work  ,   and thats a load of  ballcocks  ....the last  job  building control had signed off the job , my cert was still in the pad . 

The last scam ,  what was that colour  now ? :C   Cost me £440.00  at the local college .  The advertising for this lot is at full tilt ,  NIC   "Its landed  act now !!"   

Do they really think we are all anxiously awaiting it's arrival  like  the Beano Annual at Christmas  . ( Well thats Andy anyway :innocent  )

I notice one of the additions is  the death penalty  for using a "rogue "   MCB into a board .     

We discussed it on here many times and there were various views  .     Mine was  ... a board  full of oddball MCBs looks like a bodge up , and unprofessional .     However , in the real world ,  there are some makes I would have to order in , or approach wholesalers I don't use  or even go on ebay  .   All this faffing about costs you money and  if theres a perfectly good , MCB  to BS   that fits...in the van   :C .   ( If I were going back there I'd take the right one with me )  

Just done some remedial jobs following an EICR  by another  NIC firm .   It was a basically sound  report TBH  , couple of  OTT items  ,  (We all have our different opinions ) 

One I noticed was,  the board is plastic and must be changed  C2 ,     we fitted it 5 years ago ,   an MCB of a different make is in the board C2  .   Thing is it was a Crabtree board  and one Steeple MCB was fitted ....Crabtree actually make Steeple  for Denmans own  brand  .

This reg about mcb or rcbo’s “ matching” isn’t thought out IMHO - the above point is well made, what if the devices are identical except the name or logo on them?

and I suspect it’s another that many people will chose to ignore

snd is this another EICR coding that is going to cause issues?

i don’t have BBB yet so can’t quote the page and ref number!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can all agree on that ...

however reading this...

https://www.wylexreasons.co.uk/Content/pdf/Wylex 18th Edition download.pdf

reminded me about “limiting” Earth leakage on circuits protected by rcds or rcbos to 30% - how are we supposed to do this? And more importantly, how are we supposed to test for this?

daft, daft, daft

Earth leakage clamp meter? 

Now how you limit it to 30% once you left the property is beyond me?? Perhaps the next thing will be an alarm module attached to RCD which sends you a text when the 30% is exceeded? Perhaps they’ll be Rcd monitoring centres setup around the country and RCDs will have autodialling modules attached??

Earth leakage clamp meter? 

Now how you limit it to 30% once you left the property is beyond me?? Perhaps the next thing will be an alarm module attached to RCD which sends you a text when the 30% is exceeded? Perhaps they’ll be Rcd monitoring centres setup around the country and RCDs will have autodialling modules attached??

That may work .... but what happens when a device starts failing ?

the occupants change?

adding regulations that can’t be tested for compliance, do nothing but undermine the quality and comprehension of BS 7671 .....

Latest posts