This has to be a scam, but I can't figure out how?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This email just landed in my in box

"Hello,

I would like to get a quote for complete Restoration Refurbishment Service in my newly bought apartment and also carry out some major renovation works in the garage and a new garden.

Also some part of the roof needs to be changed.

Kindly get back to me if you are available for any of this jobs so i can send you pics of the property and location for work to be carried out.

Kind regards

Barry"

Doesn't sound right to me so I will ignore it. I just wonder how the scam might work?

Only thing I can imagine is that if you ask for further information they will send you files containing trogan horse, (etc), virus.

Also, if three members have had it, that suggests it's something to do with the forum (?).

Only thing I can imagine is that if you ask for further information they will send you files containing trogan horse, (etc), virus.

Also, if three members have had it, that suggests it's something to do with the forum (?).

doubt its the forum. ive had almost identical emails too but not at the email address uses here

My guess is, if you reply to this, you will be sent some dodgy files, and you are more likely to open them and unleash a virus than you would be if you were not expecting something.

This email just landed in my in box

"Hello,

I would like to get a quote for complete Restoration Refurbishment Service in my newly bought apartment and also carry out some major renovation works in the garage and a new garden.

Also some part of the roof needs to be changed.

Kindly get back to me if you are available for any of this jobs so i can send you pics of the property and location for work to be carried out.

Kind regards

Barry"

Doesn't sound right to me so I will ignore it. I just wonder how the scam might work?

I got the same e-mail the other day. Didn't sound believable to me but I responded in case to ask for further details. Given that you've had an identical e-mail it's obviously fake.

I've been getting loads of those lately, lucky me! 

Things that make me suspicious:-

no contact details like a phone number

no address of property

no footer to email - especially for suppossed business

'click on' file link

poor english

flattery in the text and general style of the email. Something like 'you are so wonderful we would like to use your incredible services and have lots of property to upgarde'  - too good to be true, coz it's spam!

when I reply asking for information and details to be sent by an attached PDF file I get no response.....or 'click-on' file link having specifically asked them not to send these.

And if they are really stupid, email address doesn't match the name in any way, or appears to imitate a legitimate business - check firms website and email address is totally different.